Tech Support Guy banner

Zoom Call "Internet Unstable"

349 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  valis
Hello,

I am having issues with my Zoom software and their support has been no help. I would go to my company IT team but I use a personal laptop for work and don't believe they could do much for me here.

Every zoom call I am on, I get intermittent "your connection is unstable" errors. It runs fine, good video and audio quality until all of a sudden it will freak out. Sometimes the video and audio studders then go back to normal. Sometimes it freezes for a minute then completely shuts down, restarts and rejoins the call like nothing happened. This happens on every call, multiple times a call.

Things I have tried to resolve:
  • I have tried uninstalling, then reinstalling per Zoom's support team but that was no help (multiple times).
  • Google tells me that it could be a driver issue, but I have run the intel driver scanner and it says everything is up to date. I even downloaded a 3rd party driver updater and it says everything is up to date.
  • I tried watching the Zoom statistics and everything looks good until all of a sudden the "internet is unstable" error pops and the video studders again. But no data saying there was any spike or drop in network
  • Being on WiFi vs plugged in doesn't matter. Same issue.

I don't have any issues on other programs. I typically have several chrome windows open, Spotify, Microsoft products, pretty basic things.

I use google meets sometimes and I don't have any issues with that. Which is what leads me to think it is zoom related.

My equipment/information:
  • Laptop: Asus Zephyrus M16
  • Router/Modem (Combo): Arris G36
  • Internet: Xfinity (average 800mbps down, 25mbps up).

Any help on what I could do to troubleshoot this and get it resolved would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
hi,
have you tried on another device?
Do you experience the issue?
hi,
have you tried on another device?
Do you experience the issue?
I don't have another computer to test it on. Zoom works fine on my phone though
I don't have another computer to test it on. Zoom works fine on my phone though
phone is not the same
you should test on another computer to localize where is the issue
You should contact your Internet Service Provider (the company you get Internet from) regarding this issue if your phone is on WiFi mode when you use it for Zoom. If the intermittent connectivity happens on both devices, your laptop and your phone, on your Wifi network, test out video streaming on Youtube for the same time-to-time cut offs of video. From what I can see, this issue is an intermittent Internet connectivity issue. Your ISP (Internet Service Provider) will be able to resolve this type of issue for you. There are some questions I have regarding your Internet connection that could shed some light on the cause of the Zoom issue you have described. They are the following.
What is the download/upload speed of your Internet?
How old is your modem or router?
Does video online tend to buffer at times while being played?
See less See more
You gotta ask your IT dept. I do IT for a pretty large company, and bypassing rules they have set into place is a fireable event.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts