Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiyaa,

Can someone please advise me about how to access my Netgear dg814 Router Config page? Ever since I installed ZoneAlarm Pro
[ok, it's EZarmor *but* really it's a rebadged ZA - see screen view] I can't access the Router's setup page ie

http://192.168.0.1

The Modem/Router is still working ok but I'm being blocked out from the config window. I was convinced I'd set up the firewall ok but I've obviously done somethig wrong.

If someone could even point me in the direction of a website with precise instructions for network configuration of ZA, I'd be very grateful. Any info at all will help - I'm sorta out of my depth with advanced settings here.

Thanks.

Oh, I'm only using this DSL Router/Modem on 1 computer as my Gateway [the NAT helps as it's more secure than just using a NIC connected Modem] so I'm not really networking. I'm using XP Pro, if that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Can't access to see your firest link (http://192.168.0.1) because, of course, that tries to access MY http://192.168.0.1 !! :D

I've only used the basic ZoneAlarm offering; but have you put your sub-net in the Trusted Zone? In your case (by the looks of it) 192.168.0.0 / 255.255.255.0. I can't remember if you do that under Program Control or Firewall but you should find it somewhere there. It should mean any application access from any PC in your trusted zone is permitted and thus you could get IE to access the router.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

In the ZA Firewall Trusted Zone, I've got "My EZ Trust Suite" with the Entry Type as 'Network'. The IP Address Site is:

192.168.0.0 with subnet mask at 255.255.255.0

Should there be anything else here? ie, should the IP Range go beyond 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.1 ? Cos both are entered as 192.168.0.0 and 'greyed out'. How can I change them? Or is there a way of entering another Network connection?

I've got access to all progs that access the Net including IE6, OE6, EZ firewall, AV update etc - no problems at all. It's just that IE6 won't let me access the Netgear Router Gateway at

http://192.168.0.1

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
192.168.0.0 with subnet mask at 255.255.255.0 means all addresses 192.168.0.1 ... 192.168.0.254.
As far as I remember you can enter as many network connections (address ranges or individual IP addresses) as you wish.
But I don't have a version of ZA running here to check against.
The IP address of the router hasn't by any chance been changed from the default 192.168.0.1?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I use both Zone Alarm and Zone Alarm Pro - and coulterp's advice is right on the mark! Just make sure you define the Subnet as Trusted and not Internet.

If that doesn't work, try rebooting your router. I've had my router go into a state where I couldn't reach the admin page until I rebooted.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coulterp,

How would I know if my router's default setting of 192.168.0.1 had been altered - is there some sort of check? I haven't altered it, I wouldn't know how!

I've also reset my router - it detected 'new network' with the settings as before 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 but I still can't access the Netgear Gateway settings page.:confused:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If you haven't altered it then it should still be 192.168.0.1 -- and it should certainly be that after a reset as that's the Netgear default setting.

Can't at the moment think of a reason why IE6 would be connecting ... other than the firewall, but your progs (you listed) are getting through the firewall. I'm still puzzled. Maybe the drive home will help.

PS: I was happy with the result Saturday? I assume yourself not! ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Maybe there is something wrong with the IP address on your system, and it needs to be reset. To reset on XP, do the following:

1) Click on the icon on the taskbar that represents your LAN connection.

2) Click on the Support tab.

3) Click on the Repair button.

4) See if you can now access the admin page for the router.

In case you're interested, the repair button does the following:

ipconfig/renew: Automatically renews the IP address from a DHCP server.

arp –d: Flushes the Address Resolution Protocol cache.

nbstat –R: Reloads the NetBios name cache.

ipconfig/flushdns: Clears the DNS cache.

ipconfig/registerdns: Registers the computer’s name on the appropriate DNS server.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks jtatsud,

Sounded like a good suggestion - Network connection said it was repairing itself *but* still no joy with accessing the Router Gateway config page. I'm getting nowhere fast.

I'm tempted to remove this EZarmor Suite [aka ZoneAlarm] and stick on Sygate FW & AVG AV. The only thing stopping me is that I like this EZtrust AV & I've always liked ZA Pro, so the free EZarmor deal is pretty good.

However, I've only used ZA whilst on 56k dial-up, I've no experience of adsl on a router with it. I've just pinged my IP address and it's ok and pinged 192.168.0.1 - it's fine as well. Any other ideas?

I'm sure it's something dead simple I've overlooked, it's really frustrating !!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I didn't see anywhere in the previous posts on whether you can access the router's admin page with the firewall disabled. Can you?

Also, have you tried accessing the admin page with a different browser? If you don't have anything but IE, you could try installing Mozilla Firefox. Even if it doesn't help this problem, it's a GREAT browser - with support for pop-up blocking and tabbed browsing. Best of all it doesn't get "attacked" all the time with spyware trying to change the home page, install toolbars that you don't want, etc. I'm on this forum with Firefox. Here's the URL:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Sorry to get off track... :)

Anyway, if you use a different browser, it will at least show whether IE is part of the problem.

Finally, does the ZA log show anything that might be related to your issue? Not likely, I expect, but it doesn't hurt to look.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks,

I did try disabling the FW, still no access. Maybe I'd have to completely uninstall it if that's what's blocking me. However, I'll try downloading Mozilla & accessing the router's admin page with that first. I've only got IE on just now.

I'll let you what happens after that.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
You mentioned use of a 56kbps modem somewhere along the line. Settings for that couldn't still be hanging around, could they? IE's not still perhaps tied to the dial-up?

And what do your ipconfig/all settings look like? It might be interesting to have a look at those (if only to rule out a problem with TCP/IP settings).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ta coulterp,

I've checked the Netgear Web Page - all seems ok, I've no Proxy configured! The only thing I'm loathe to do is the hard reset to get back to factory settings - at least I'm online this way.

No, I've removed all traces of DUN - I've been using the router for about 6 months ok.

I've attached my ipconfig/all results - I'm not sure if it will help but the primary & secondary dns settings look correct for my original setup from my server.

Much appreciated, Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If that's the ipconfig from your PC and it's picked up automatically from the DCHP server (router) then it sure seems like the router is still telling the world that its IP address is 192.168.0.1 (and 192.168.0.2 for the first IP address handed out by the Netgear to its LAN is par for the course). So it is still something of a mystery why you cannot get into the router on that IP address.

I think maybe if you can try the alternative browser test suggested by jtatsud that would be useful in seeing if IE is the problem.

There is the option remaining of the hard reset -- but I can understand the relucance to go down that path!

I don't suppose you used the router "backup settings" facility and have a "good" configuration you can roll-back to?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TAH-RAH :D :D

Thanks guys, you've done it. Obviously it was IE6 that was locking me out, nothing to do with the firewall! I installed Firefox [which looks pretty cool & seems fast! It could easily become my main broswer.] and I was straight into the Router's config page.

That's saved me hours [days?] of work as I was all set to use Drive Image to go back to when I was using NIS 2003 [subscription due] *BUT* I'll be sticking with EZarmor now, it looks like a good suite.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ENDEAVOURS, I really appreciate it.

PS Coulterp, if you were speaking about Jockland getting the wooden spoon on Saturday - I'm in mourning ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Glad you got your problem fixed!

One additional comment about Firefox - I think it beats IE hands down. Hoever, it doesn't support ActiveX so there are some pages (primarily Microsoft ones) that won't display properly. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.