Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

About a week ago I was running yahoo messenger and it froze up. So I closed it down and have not been able to start it back ever since. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall it. I have tried iespack1... and nothing works. Yahoo installs.. but when you go to launch it it gives me this message. I noticed someone else had the same problem on here and I was needing some help too :confused: ..thank you
_______
ypager.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "blahblahblah" referenced memory at "yaddyaddayadda". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program
_______

Regardless of clicking OK or CANCEL, Messenger shuts down and the problem recurs. This happens daily.

Yahoo! Help is no help.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks,
shandra

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Are you by any chance running the Beta version of Yahoo messenger ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's the sort of message XP throws up when an application tries to do something it isn't allowed to do, like write to a file or folder that is locked off by security settings.

Try un-installing Yahoo again, and when you've done so delete these folders if they are still there [I've assume you're using XP]:
C:\Program Files\Yahoo! [this assumes a default installation]
C:\Documents and Settings\<your ID>\Application Data\Yahoo!
C:\Documents and Settings\<your ID>\Application Data\Yahoo! Messenger

After that, run your re-install from the Yahoo site rather than use any existing install package you have. You must be an Administrator to do this. Let us know how you go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have Windows 2000... I have tried to install yahoo and reinstall it with abselutely NOTHING else running at the same time... I have deleted those files you told me to and reinstalled it and it still doesn't work. So what else ? :down:

·
Registered
64 Posts
shandra82 said:
I have Windows 2000... I have tried to install yahoo and reinstall it with abselutely NOTHING else running at the same time... I have deleted those files you told me to and reinstalled it and it still doesn't work. So what else ? :down:
Hmmm. Does the logon ID you use in Windows 2000 have administration rights? If not, or even if you're unsure, try logging on using the Administrator ID and tell me if it's any different.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it does the same thing on Administrator. It is kinda of weird cause i have noticed that it is not just yahoo that is doing this. I installed the new beta msn msngr about 3 weeks ago and it has a feature called winks, that used to work but as of today when i click on one of them it gives me the same error message with different id numbers.
Also the other day it did to my iexplorer(same error application error) and had some one send me an adware thing ... and ran it and rebooted and it fixed that. But have defrag, virus scan, and adware scan, and still doesn't fix the yahoo or msn problems...Have you heard anything bad about the beta msngrs?...Do they cause any problems?... like this...I guess What I am asking is Could me installing the Beta MSN cause this problem in other systems of my puter?

·
Registered
64 Posts
shandra82 said:
Yes it does the same thing on Administrator. It is kinda of weird cause i have noticed that it is not just yahoo that is doing this. I installed the new beta msn msngr about 3 weeks ago and it has a feature called winks, that used to work but as of today when i click on one of them it gives me the same error message with different id numbers.
Also the other day it did to my iexplorer(same error application error) and had some one send me an adware thing ... and ran it and rebooted and it fixed that. But have defrag, virus scan, and adware scan, and still doesn't fix the yahoo or msn problems...Have you heard anything bad about the beta msngrs?...Do they cause any problems?... like this...I guess What I am asking is Could me installing the Beta MSN cause this problem in other systems of my puter?
If the problems started around the same time as Messenger was installed then it could be the culprit - companies issue beta versions to flush out bugs, you might have done so! I'm not aware of any bad reports though. If you think this is the case, you can always uninstall the beta Messenger and see if the problem goes away. Before you do that though, try another beta (!) from Microsoft, their anti-spyware beta. I have it on my PC and it does no harm and has found things on friends' PCs. You can get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/requirements.mspx If all else fails, you may have to reinstall windows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.