Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across something I find very interesting.

Like billions of other computer users, I have never provided my name and address and phone number to any email service provider (except for any of my various ISP's across time but they know all that anyway since I'm a customer) since it's never been a requirement.

My initials, state and zip code is as far as I have ever gone with email.

So, a contact on my Yahoo Messenger list who doesn't know my name, address and phone number clicked the wrong function in Messenger and selected to make either "call computer" or "call phone number" or "send SMS message" they don't remember, they just clicked the wrong thing and closed that little window that pops up as fast as they could.

Here is the good part, for that split second of that popping up on my side and before he clicked to close out that function of Yahoo Messenger my phone rang.

Yeah, the phone rang for that split second that the little window popped up and then disappeared. Had I been thinking at the time I now realize I should have done a *69.

Plus my telephone line is in no way hooked up or connected to the computer so that can't be a contributor.

Neither they or Yahoo have ever been given my name, address or phone number so that begs questions.

Since my contact has no way to "look me up in the book" as we like to say based on a name and address in order to enter any phone contact info into the function that they mistakenly clicked on and Yahoo has no way to do that same thing in order to ascertain my telephone number...

Just where did Yahoo get my telephone number?

This could only be caused by Yahoo Messenger so I find this very intriguing indeed.

Just where did Yahoo get that information on me to connect me to a phone number?

If they have my phone number that automatically means they have my name right? Yeah.

If they have my name that means that they can ascertain my address right? Yeah.

If they can ascertain my address they can know my exact geophysical location using Google satellite images right? Yeah.

If they can ascertain my name, telephone, address, exact physical location, what else can they ascertain on me even if it would be nothing more that dumping that info into a search engine or from some public database?

The phone ringing at this mistake on my contacts part opens a huge can of worms.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found which function he mistakenly clicked on and quickly closed, "Call Computer" (runs on the microphone in chat and has nothing to do with the telephone service) and it listed listed in call history as a missed call.

That is the one that made the phone ring so if anyone is testing this to see if you can duplicate it it is "Call Computer."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.