Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:
PC brought to me to repair. Presented with spyware/browser HiJack Problems. System specs showed Windows XP (not SP2)

Fixed aforementioned problems, set new restore point. Once browser began working correctly, tried to do latest critical downloads from Microsoft, & discovered that Service Pack 2 shows up in the Add/Remove programs, but never properly installed. < When I try and update anything now, it says that Service pack needs to be uninstalled first because the system is unstable>.

So, I look in the archives on the microsoft update site and it appears that customer tried a couple of times to download/install SP2 but it just shows it as "failed"

Here is my concern: When I go to uninstall SP2 from Add/Remove area, I get a warning message that the following files may not work after I remove SP2. Well, that's pretty much most of the files on this PC.

I can't go back to an earlier restore point. Unfortunately, I wiped those out after I removed all the virus's/spyware on the PC. Plus, it doesn't even appear that it ever actually installed....however...it does show up in Add/Remove programs.

Any recommendations other than reformating hard drive and starting over? This PC is loaded with work related items that customer doesn't want removed :( So, I'm looking for other solutions.

Thank you!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still a little fuzzy on this. (despite clicking the link...sorry the verbage in it confuses me a bit) :confused:

I'll download nlite and it will delete xp2 but retain the files I need? Is that correct?

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
no nlite will enable you to combine xp and sp2
then you burn it to disk
then you use the disk to repair xp
leaving all your files intact

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.