Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:I try to install XP Home as an upgrade to 98SE, but it doesn't work. My system passes all requirements - it has 500MhZ PIII, 327MB RAM, 64MB Video RAM, Runs at 1280x960 resolution, has 30GB Free, CD-ROM (obviously), and meets any other requirements. When I install, the thing installs, then reboots. After the reboot, it goes to the XP boot screen, it says "Please wait..." I left it for 3 hours, it wasn't making any noise, except for the cpu fans, and it did nothing. No HD activity, nothing. I reset it, and when I boot XP normally, It gets to welcome screen. I click a user (any one of them) and gives a message box saying that XP is unable to validate the license or something. It has error code 0x80004005, and that is commonly casued by attempted pirating. I can boot in safe mode, but that's it. Cannot activate in safemode. I uninstall, try again. Same. I uninstall, and am using 98SE right now. Help!!!:confused:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Here are some options to try:

Re-install Windows 98SE and then do the Windows XP or...

Go into your Bios and change your boot up sequence to start with the CDRom and put in your Win XP disk and reboot.

You may want to do a fdisk before installing also.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Did you disable all non Microsoft Startup items? Such as virus scanners and disk utilities. To do so, run MSCONFIG, click the Starup tab, and uncheck almost everything. I am running XP right now so I cannot tell you the required items, but you can experiment without damaging things.

Good luck and have a Happy New Year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.