Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Recently I have installed a new motherboard, processor and ram. I have tried to reinstall XP from the CD rom which works, but on reboot to finish instilation the hard drive does not boot what so ever.

I transferd my hard drive to my old computer and it boots just fine, does anyone know what could be the issue?

thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi there,
Sounds like you may need to tattoo the new motherboard. The reason this is happening is that you are using the original recovery disks from the other comptuer. After putting the old hdd in this comptuer, it is not reading the tattoo from the motherboard. This is to prevent piracy.

·
Registered
772 Posts
how big is the hard drive, and is it a SATA or IDE? what motherboard are you using?

When you say you reinstalled windows, do you mean you done a complete full format and installed windows or did you do a repair install?

is this the only hard drive in your new system?

how far down the installation does this go?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how big is the hard drive, and is it a SATA or IDE? what motherboard are you using?

When you say you reinstalled windows, do you mean you done a complete full format and installed windows or did you do a repair install?

is this the only hard drive in your new system?

how far down the installation does this go?
The hard drive is 80GB and it's IDE. I'm using a DFI LP LT P35 T2R LGA 775 for motherboard

I did not do a complete format, as I cant loose the data that I have, I did the "Upgrade" function on XP and put the hd in the new pc.

The installation from the CD rom goes and then it says it needs to reboot, and it does nothing upon reboot. it doesn't even show a XP screen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there,
Sounds like you may need to tattoo the new motherboard. The reason this is happening is that you are using the original recovery disks from the other comptuer. After putting the old hdd in this comptuer, it is not reading the tattoo from the motherboard. This is to prevent piracy.
How do you "tattoo" the new motherboard?

·
Registered
772 Posts
When ever you transplant your hard drive from one computer to another and you DO NOT want to loose your data you need to perform a REPAIR INSTALL..

Here are the instructions for doing so MS website.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

the reason for this is that your system has to install the new drivers for your new motherboard otheriwse you will get problems with BSOD and no boot.

try this and see if it helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.