Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Great site and one that I have been looking for some time now. I just hope you can advise me on a 'little' problem I'm having?

To keep it simple (like me), I have two hard drives, one SATA with the factory installed XP Home. The second is a SATA2 that I added with the sole intention of installiing Vista.
I want to know what is the best way of setting this configuration up.
I have tried and failed on numerous occasions due to missing NTLDR. etc.
I still want my XP to be the default O/S on start up with the option to booting up Vista if I want.
Any tips would be appreciated as I am now tired of trying to set this up reliably.

A simple switch on the tower case would be awesome...Left XP - Right Vista. Job done.:D
My PC spec is listed in my profile but a quick insight is:-

Pentium D 3.0ghz
Motherboard Name - MSI MS-7204 (Medion OEM)
4gb DDR2 Corsair MXS RAM
SATA 250gb h/d
SATA2 160gb h/d
nVidia 7600gs 512mb PCI Express Grahics Card

Many thanks for any replies and time given.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so this post came and went without a reply.

Would it be easier if I installed Vista on the other hard drive but leave the SATA lead unplugged until I want to use it, then unplug the XP lead?
Would this cause any issues and would both drives still keep their 'C' status?
Would I still get the "NTLDR is missing screen"?

Thanks for any (hopeful) replies....

· Registered
2,507 Posts
Easiest way, I think, is to boot into win XP and then install Vista from there to the second drive. That gives you both Os, and doing it that way rounf gives you a nifty bootscreen so you can choose which you want to use. you can also reset prefs to boot to whichever you want by default.
as far as enabling/ disabling drives goes, its probably a lot morehassle than its worth, given th ehardware that woud need to ge changed. :)

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your swift reply.
I have done what you stated earlier and found that I was having a lot of trouble with 'NTLDR is missing'. Sometimes it would work and the next it wouldn't. It appeared to be somewhat unreliable if it was going to boot or not.
I am now in the process of doing a fresh install of 32bit Vista on the secondary hard-drive while XP is unplugged. I'm also partitoning the h/d in half so I can install 64bit Vista on the other half.
Once I have done all this, can I have both XP & Vista h/d's connected afterwards and be able to have an option to boot to any of the O/S's?

I appreciate any help & time given. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.