Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was able to successfully install XP Pro SP2 (32-bit, I believe) and achieve dual-booting with Vista Home Premium (32-bit, I believe).

My problem is my XP OS doesn't connect to the Internet. I tried disconnecting my Linksys network adapter (WMP54G), installing using provided CD in XP, reconnecting the adapter, and booting XP up. It doesn't recognize the adapter still.

So I tried to connect the computer through a wired connection. My wireless router is Linksys WRT54G. But it doesn't recognize anything and I tried using wizards to set up a connection. It feels like those wizards are completely useless in my case.

My computer is HP Pavilion a1700n.

I was thinking that I could Windows Update XP to the latest hopefully thereby updating whatever is needed to recognize the adapter, so I can use it wirelessly. I was thinking of doing driver updates using the wired connection before taking my computer back up to my room. Vista can use Internet just like it always has been able to even after the XP installation.

Btw, I was able to connect two computers in the same household to our ISP without any CD (they never gave us one) and we use broadband. Also, it seems that it recognizes the braodband connection but when I try to diagnose the problem, it said that it cannot query the TCP/IP connection or something similar.

So basically, I need help with getting XP to connect to the Internet.

Thanks,
Digitus

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
Have you tried booting up in sequence unplug your modem unplug your network router switch off pc then when this is done plug in modem wait until all lights are showing except the activity light then plug in router and reboot pc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.