Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this question is for my grandson - he has a Toshiba notebook XP and everytime he logs on to his account it freezes when loading icons etc. the guest account works reasonably well.

This started when his cousin downloaded the new windows msn 8 and thats when the freezing happened, tried to delete the new program from the add and remove but it says it cannot do this (no idea why)

We have tried to disable his own account but it wont accept his administrators password. which makes it impossible to change anything as it tells us we need the permission of the adminstrator :confused:

His father did a system restore taking it back to before the installation of the new msn and that just made things worse.

This is a notebook through his school and we are still paying for it.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Hi!

Log in to the account and when it freezes, press "Alt-Ctrl-Del". This should bring up "task manager". Go to "processes" and find "explorer.exe". Right click it and select "end-task".Click ok to confirm.

Now, in task manager, select "applications". Click on "new task" and type in explorer. Press enter and the desktop should load normally.

Now go to add/remove programs and try to uninstall msn. If an error comes up, please note the exact error message.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Zabusant, I have tried the alt-cntrl-del and it wont bring up the task manager, the icons are loaded on the page, the mouse isn't frozen though i noticed, but the hour glass just sort of sits there and does nothing. and yet as i said the guest account icons load and work ok. but it won't let me alter anything because it wont accept the administrators password i put in.

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Oh, ok. Well, the default password for the admin account is blank, so try that. More than that, I can't help with the password not being accepted.

Have you tried booting in safe mode?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have just booted in safe mode and got into task manager, but there is no explorer in processes and the hour glass is frozen- shall i just close it down and try again.

thanks

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Could you please check the model of the notebook (usually on a label on the bottom side of the laptop).

Log in the guest account and see if there's a c:\i386 folder (c: being the system drive).

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
If it's there, it should be under "c:" - So open "My computer" and double click on the c: drive. Is it there?

I don't know if you'll be able to do this from the guest account, but try:

Start>Run... type in cmd and press ENTER.
In the new window, type in chkdsk /r and press ENTER.
Select "y" to shedule check disk at next boot and press enter. Restart the PC and let it run. (it can sometimes take quite some time to finish)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.