Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am running xp service pack 3. i cannot shut down or restart the computer from the start menu. i have to press the button on the tower. there is no error message. the computer simply continues to operate normally. this is driving me insane. i've been searching for a solution for a month with zero success. system restore has no effect. i haven't noticed any other issues. any ideas?

s

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried to restart your PC in SafeMode and restoring to the last good restore point?
i have. it didn't work. i know i can reinstall the system too, but that will require a massive back up of data that will take some time. i don't want to do that because of the time factor. also there is no other problem, so, ultimately, i'll live with the problem, but it is quite annoying.

s

·
Registered
780 Posts
I had the same problem a few months ago after installing SP3. I ended up uninstalling the Service Pack then reinstalling it and it made no difference. I ended up doing a Clean Install of XP.

Maybe someone will jump in here who knows an easy fix.

Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
but that will require a massive back up of data that will take some time. i don't want to do that because of the time factor.
Better to do it now than to wish you had later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.