Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has XP and I fdisked and then reinstalled.
I entered security code and microsoft said: ok.
after about five or ten minutes an error message comes up and the system shuts down.
please help. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I should have wriiten it down; she is over an hour from me. Some initials like: rfc error and must shut down. please save your data.....something like that

·
Administrator
13,568 Posts
If you logged onto the internet, even for a minute, after you reformatted, and hadn't completely downloaded all the critical updates and virus definitions, then it most likely is a bug. When I got my XP, I went straight to the critical updates and virus definitions, nowhere else, didn't even have my email program set up yet, and had a blasterworm before I could finish downloading the updates.

If you have a firewall, turn it on. If it is a worm, it slows the shutdown enough for you to download the blasterworm fixtool from Symantic. I'd suggest finding the fixtool on another computer and downloading it and emailing it to the (possibly) infected computer, or at least taking the troubled computer directly to the fixtool and downloading it to see if this is the problem. With the firewall active, you should have enough time to download virus updates and critical updates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothingface said:
i think you're talking about the rpc procedure call. if that's it, you got a virus or trojan.
Thank you so very much; You must be right. I will try this thanks again.
I am just surprised how it picked up the bug so fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LauraMJ said:
If you logged onto the internet, even for a minute, after you reformatted, and hadn't completely downloaded all the critical updates and virus definitions, then it most likely is a bug. When I got my XP, I went straight to the critical updates and virus definitions, nowhere else, didn't even have my email program set up yet, and had a blasterworm before I could finish downloading the updates.

If you have a firewall, turn it on. If it is a worm, it slows the shutdown enough for you to download the blasterworm fixtool from Symantic. I'd suggest finding the fixtool on another computer and downloading it and emailing it to the (possibly) infected computer, or at least taking the troubled computer directly to the fixtool and downloading it to see if this is the problem. With the firewall active, you should have enough time to download virus updates and critical updates.
I will do this and I thank you again.
jude3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.