Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the clean install it used to say XP Pro and now when it boots up it just say XP?

i think i noticed this after the install of the SP2 update.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Normal. Not sure why, but the "Professional" disappeared with the new SP2 version of ntoskrnl.exe. Miss it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of sending it a post card i missed it so much..lol
ok...just making sure I didn't mess something up
thanks for clearing it up.

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
The reason why, I understand, was that as the SP2 replaces the module that has the boot screen embedded in it, they would have needed to produce Pro and Home versions of SP2, whereas only one common version was actually needed?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
kiwiguy said:
The reason why, I understand, was that as the SP2 replaces the module that has the boot screen embedded in it, they would have needed to produce Pro and Home versions of SP2, whereas only one common version was actually needed?
That makes sense, except that it would have been easy enough for setup to have used a different ntoskrnl.exe depending on which version of XP it was installing SP2 onto, just as it made those distinctions for other system files. Right?

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
When SP2 first camed out, I was amazed at how many people complained saying that the only reason they paid extra for the Professional version was to see that splash at boot . . . I offered to come over with a bottle of whiteout and paint it on their screens for $100

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
could just be me but without that splash at boot I'd be hard pressed to tell wether im on home or Pro. Proof being I've had this laptop for about a 18 months and I just recently realised it was XP Pro. I've also just recently learned a lot more about computers though:)

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Right click My Computer and take a look see at the window and if you have XP Pro it should say it in there, the log on screen no longer shows Home or Professional any more since Service Pack 2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.