Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client who is trying to connect two pcs to his cable connection. I ran coax from the cable boxes to the tuner cards on the pcs. One gets no signal whatso ever unless I run the coax straight from the wall. The other one gets a signal plus channels but I cannot get the guide to see all the channels. It seems to only allow local ones. I can watch the premium cable stuff but cannot use the guide to setup recordings.. Any ideas or guides on setting up media center for use a DVR??

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish?

I do not think that you can do what you are trying. I think that if you are going from a cable box, you need to go to a tv, beacuse if you have a tv tuner device it is looking to be a second tuner. So you have an already tuned signal going into another tuner. I could be misunderstanding what you are trynig to do, so correct me if I am wrong.

Or are you trying to capture tv on the computer that is already tuned and just want to capture whatever comes out of the cable box.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my first go with setting up WMCE 2005 with a tuner card. He told me he had it this way before to use his PC as a DVR. Yes the coax is coming from the cable box to the PC. He needs to use the guide in media center to select programs to record. But were not getting most of his cable channels in the guide. It appears to be only local ones.. I can watch these cable channels, but cannot see them in the guide to select them to be recorded. If I run the coax straight to the box bypassing the cable box I still only get local stuff....

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt think that cable would be affected by the switch over.. One of his pc's never worked cause the TV tuner card blew out so I replaced it. The other had viruses and required a re-install of the OS. So both are basically brand new setups as far as im concerned. I cant remember the brand of cable box but its from Charter I think... Ill repost tomorrow when I get the details..something with 'Allied' in the name.....

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok ive got hardware details.....

The one in the living room that is not receiving a signal at all on the computer has a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4240 HDC connected to a Pinnacle PCTV HD Card. The box also has an HDMI going to the TV.

The other one I got going but is having issues changing channels on the box. I think hes playing with the settings while im gone. This one sees all the channels but now just wont change them via the guide... It has a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100 with a Hauppauge WinTV 26552.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Why don't you get these two machines set up correctly directly to the wall coax cable. Then try and put them back to where they are set up now. I personally would pick up a coax splitter and run one line to the cable box and one line to the computers... but thats just me. Who is his cable provider?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried that but from what I remember that didnt work either. Would that give you all premium cable channels? Doesnt the box have to de-scramble the signal first. Im not a big audio visual guy but I think i will be after this whole project!!!!

I made progress in his living room by switching the Vista box for the XP box. I got to a screen where it let me select which channel I got a signal on in Media center. I selected three and it came through. Then I got stuck on the IR Blaster but were working on that. So we I replaced the Vista box with a different version of Media center I did not get this prompt to change the channel to 3!!?? Is there something im missing in here with the Vista setup?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
No. You will need a cable card to give you the premium channels....
Read up here:http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/mediacenter/cablecard.mspx

I guess I am confused as to what is going on here...Do you think that the cable box will descrable premium channels and then you will be able to capture them with the tv tuner that is in the computer?

If so, I have never heard of someone trying to do what you are trying. The cable out is usually used to be just a hook up to older tv's. i.e. instead of using hdmi to get signal to the tv you use coax instead.

I am not saying what you are trying to do is impossible, I am just saying that I am no further help beacuse I have never done this before. I would think to get premium channels you would need a cable card and have to use a splitter to split the coax.

I will be here to help you through this and learn with you, but from now on I will not be able to give you any definitive answers on how to do something, just suggestions to try. Sorry. Maybe someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem... I really appreaciate your help. every little bit of information helps... Ive even tried bringing in another tech to see what he thought and he was baffled to... All the documentation I have read says what were trying to do is possible. Just some part of our hardware chain is not setup to allow it... Trial and error I guess....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.