Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha,
I have two computers connected to a router (Linksys 4 port) and then to the modem, then to the cable. My old computer uses 98SE as the os and my new computer uses Win XP Pro and I used XP Pro to configure the connection as a Local Area Connection. Now, the question is, will I be able to plug my HP 7100 usb cable into the router so both computers can use the printer independently of each other? As much as possible, I don't want to use a print server but will if have to. TIA

Mahalo,
doogdoog

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
Not enough info but here is a guess.

If your router is not also a print server, then perhaps the USB connection is an alternative to the ethernet connection? Some routers provide for ethernet or USB. In this case the USB is not a port for connecting peripherals.

If on the other hand you have a router/print server, then it may work but your comment on not wanting to use a print server then puzzles me.

Otherwise connect the printer to 1 PC and share the printer over the network.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aloha,
Thanks for the replies. Yes, you are all right and I made a mistake saying that the Linksys had a USB after remembering that it has an RJ45 connector. Well the only thing that I do not like about the print server is the additional cost but it looks like that is the only way. TIA

Mahalo,
doogdoog

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.