Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day, I have a question here. I started my laptop up the other day and it loaded into windows just fine. But when I try and run a program, I get Windows cannot open this file, and it gives me an option to assiciate a progream.

All the icons are also messed up and have a .ink file extention at the end.
I have tried to restore but that wont load, I tried to load into safe mode but same thing.
I have no Idea what caused this, I cant even get into the even viewer.
I have some pictures and a few other files that i cannot loose otherwise I would just wipe it and reinstall. If you have some Ideads please let me know thatnka

Dr.Rockin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, Thanks for the welcome and the link. However I am unsure which one I need to download. Some Icons display the proper icon and I can load the program, but most display the error icon. Everything on my desktop and about 99% of the start menu is messed up and showing the .INK extention. Keeps telling me \"to open this file Windows needs to know what program created it.
I'm thinking its the exe? But I wanted to make sure first

Thank you

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
I might be off base here, but have you tried going into Control panel, choose Folder options, click on the file type, then seeing what applications are associated with those files? Like if you see the file extension .doc if you use Microsoft Word, you would want that to be the program that opens your .doc file. If that isn't what shows you would click change and choose it.
:) good luck!

Judy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hay there, I just went in abd looked, I'd say over 1/2 of the files windows does not know what to do with them the "opens with" is blank. I could do it if it was one or 2 but its almost the entire system. I wondeer how this happened.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CAnt get into system restore, I've mamaged to get it to load into safe mode, but I cant do much there either. What about just reinstalling windows on top of its self, Would |I loost much info??

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
You would do a repair install, but that is never a guarantee that you won't lose any files. I would want to know what caused this in the first place. Possibly a virus? Have you downloaded anything recently, or do you use limewire?

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
If you can get to safe mode command prompt, you can try system restore from a command prompt.
At the command prompt, type:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe then hit Enter.
This should start system restore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In safe mode, Windows wont let me Run cmd.exe Man this thing is beingf stubborn today.

No new programs were installed... At least non that I know of. I do have roommates, someone may have used it. but they are pretty good, if they mess something up they tell me about it. I usually can fix most things on a computer. But I've never seen a computer act like this before/. What I dont understand is if windows isnt reconizing the file types how can it reconize the files to boot up??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.