Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys and gals here's the problem, last year my pc had a lot of trouble with the registry and various other problems so i decided to re-install windows. unfortunatley my pc was second hand so i got hold of a copy of xp professional service pack 2 from a friend. i installed it no problem and my pc ran fine. now to the present day - last week i bought a new pc custom built from ebay, i chose not have xp installed as it would be £60 cheaper so it arrived with no OS. i tried to install from the copied xp disk but it gets to about 7 mins to go and just freezes, ive left it for 3 hours and it is still frozen. ive rebooted and it says 'setup is restarting' and starts at 39 mins to go again.....but then freezes again. Im assuming theres a problem with the disk and ive checked for surface scratches but there are none. So ive learned my lesson and orderd a brand spanking new copy of windows (at great cost). however my pc still thinks its halfway through the failed installation. how do i stop it from sayin 'setup is restarting' as it does this whether i have the disk in or not. is there a way to format c:\ from the bios??? so if you havent fallen asleep reading my life story please help me!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
you are illegal if you dont have your own copy of windows XP - using a friends is not allowed and we can not support you on these forums

to fix this problem - go and buy the XP disc at £60 and then install from that CD and all drivers needed for the cutom PC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as i indicated in my post i now own only a genuine copy of windows, however the problem is stopping the illegal installation of windows thats stuck halfway through. if i could get it to stop trying to install, then i will install my genuine copy of windows.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Hi there, tonyburke06, and welcome to TSG!

Well, first thing to say is that you did the right thing in getting a new (and legal) copy of Windows. Although the expense is pretty big (and getting hit with it once is enough :rolleyes: ), it's still worth it.

Now. When you restart the machine, the CD is in, it goes through the motions, and tries to finish the old install? It doesn't at any point show a message "Press any key to boot from CD" (or close to that, anyway)?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
tonyburke06 said:
yes it does, and thanks for the reply, i dont press any keys just wait for the white dots to finish and then it goes to the setup is restarting screen
When it comes up with "Press any key...", do so. Delete all available partitions, and reformat. You will have to go through the whole process from the beginning again, but, unless there are serious issues, it should finish this time around :up:.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.