Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start by saying I'm not really sure where to start. I have 2 computers, one is a Dell and
the other is a Gateway. Both computers are running XP Home Edition. The Dell is the host
computer, as it's the one that connects directly to the internet. I have a high speed internet
provider. I started the home network wizard on the host computer, ( Dell ), went thru the
steps required and it told me I had successfully set that computer up for networking. It then
said to run the wizard on the other computer(s) that would be on the network. I did so on the
other computer, ( Gateway ), and it too said I had successfully set it up for networking. I
rebooted both computers as instructed. Result....ICS worked just fine. The Gateway computer
showed the workgroup as well as other folders on Dell. The Dell computer only showed the
workgroup and nothing else. When I clicked on the workgroup icon, and after a lengthy wait,
I got a message saying I wasn't authorized to access the network, contact my administrator
and a list of servers wasn't available. This has been the result each time I've tried to get
networked. Help!!!! Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
go to start>right click on my computer>properties>computer name>Change( to rename this computer or join a domain)>change your domain name on both computers to somthing else ex: TGS > should be solved plz post you results

·
Registered
146 Posts
Daredeval756 said:
go to start>right click on my computer>properties>computer name>Change( to rename this computer or join a domain)>change your domain name on both computers to somthing else ex: TGS > should be solved plz post you results
What! How did you come up with that?
Auxarcer, this is usually a firewall problem. Try turning off the firewall temporarily and wait up to half an hour before trying to access things on the network.
Let us know how it goes.

Joe

·
Registered
146 Posts
Daredeval756 said:
I came up with that because I too had the same problem, and it fixed everything.
Wow! I definitely wouldn't have though that to be a factor unless they're using names that are somehow incompatible. I'd be surprised if it works but if it worked once I suppose it might work again. :)

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.