Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help here as i am only a beginner. I need to download service pack 2 for XP, but each time i go to download it from either the net or straight from a disk, my computer freezes and i have to reload the whole of XP again.

Any ideas?

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
17,735 Posts
Hi, Have you just recently had to format and reinstall XP? If not due to recently reinstalling...why do you need to reinstall/install SP2? Did you UNinstall it from Add/Remove Programs (don't laugh, it has an uninstaller that removes part of the service pack but not all.

**If you have been trying SP2, freezing, reinstalling XP, and so on....you need to get a reinstall of XP done...install an antivirus program and you should install a few other protective programs....before you go on the Internet at all and the antivirus program is a requirement to install SP2.

***I've seen a few installed programs that were not compatible with Service Pack 2- one is SpeedFan.

There is additonal info available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

**If you have the install download or CD for your antivirus program, good...you will need to get the latest detection updates etc for the program, from the Internet.

Some branded types of computers, HP's for example (I own one from 2002 that is this type) must update some component software, preinstalled drivers, etc in order for SP2 to be installed and/or work correctly.

Could you post the exact brand and model of computer please?

**If it is a custom built machine, then you can step through the checklist here:

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

Do you mean you have tried using the Microsoft XP Service Pack 2 CD? If so, try rinsing off the CD, in plain warm medium hot, tap water and pat it dry with a soft towel, don't rub it like a magic lamp....and try it again, after you go through the things in the link I posted above.

And, be sure you post the make and model of the PC, often there are some updates you need to apply for drivers and software first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.