Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Windows domain, with a few computers connected to it, and all works fine. I have one PC that is not part of the domain, running XP, and this PC is where I store a bunch of files that I need to access from one of the workstations from the domain. The non-domain PC is in a workgroup with the same NETBIOS name as the domain. This PC is using the "Welcome Screen" logon, as there needs to be on occasion more than one person logged on at the same time.

Question is - how can I map a drive to the non-domain computer from a domain computer, without a seperate "username" showing up on the list of names on the Welcome Screen?

Alternatively, is there a way to map the non-domain share ON THE SERVER, and then "re-share" this drive as if it were actually a local drive on the server?

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Question is - how can I map a drive to the non-domain computer from a domain computer, without a seperate "username" showing up on the list of names on the Welcome Screen?
Is this seperate user name showing in the screen if you mapped a drive using connect as a different user name ?

Have you tried net use <drive letter>: \\<server name>\<Share name> username: password ?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm actually doing it this way now, but the password of course is in "cleartext", and I don't want the password revealed.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
So that's working, but if you try to map a drive using different credentials it shows the user in the welcome screen?

As a bandaide you could always go here http://www.filegate.net/bfds/ and download bat2ex15.zip, create a batch file with the mapping (if you haven't already have), and let it compile the batch into a .com file that way the clear text is hidden...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.