Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've an ongoing problem which is now very annoying.
At any given time my PC will turn itself off. It's not a controlled shutdown, it's literally as if someone has pulled the power supply. There's no blue screen and I just can't work out what the problem is.
If you then try to turn the PC on after this failure it won't. The fans whir and the lights come on but there are no beeps on start up and nothing is displayed on my monitor.
I can then get the PC to work by removing the power cable completely, waiting 30 seconds and then attempting to turn back on.
Generally it seems to happen during my syncing of my mp3 player, whilst media player is converting to say WMA format. Or during a compression of a ZIP file. It appears to be through cpu intensive applications. It will also do it on occasions during a full virus scan (Mc Afee INternet Security)
I had major problems a few months back as the "failure" corrupted the boot segment of my drive - which fortunately I was able to recover.
The PC is often on most of the day but during light use or sitting idly by it seems to have no problems.
THere are so many options of what could be at fault - memory, power supply, cpu, bad driver. I don't know where to start.
Is there a way I can create a log of activity to try and see what's causing this? I'd like to start logging of anything useful, start a media sync and see what happens.
My system details are:
Pc: Built system. Mobo: Asrock 775Dual VSTA. PentiumD 2.8ghz CPU, 1gb corsair memory,
BIOS AmiP2.70
Browser: ie7
Graphics card: Nvidia GEFOrce 2 (I had a better one but it died a while ago and not got round to replacing - the crash still happened with the old card though!)

Any more info needed?
Where do I start??

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,205 Posts
I would guess it's either the Cpu is getting too hot or the Power Supply is struggling.
Try cleaning the CPU's heat-sink if it's dusty.
Check the fan is turning freely.
Ensure the heat-sink is making good contact with the Cpu.
Did you put any thermal compound between heat-sink and Cpu ? If not I would do so.

For PSU it's best to try another if possible, or remove as many devices as possible, USB, unplug any hard drives you can etc. to ease the load and then see if the crashes stop.

One other thing to try is to take the motherboard out of the case and set it up on a desktop or tabletop, this eliminates any chance of a mobo to case short and gives better access for swapping components etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the starting points.

With the CPU bit in mind I found a hardware monitor http://www.hmonitor.net/ which I installed and set to monitor. The PC had been on for some time but from idle the temp was 63 deg. I started the mp3 player sync and the cpu temp began a steady rise reaching 90.5 before shutting down. I'm assuming these temps are not good.
I've removed the heatsink and fan, cleaned it all up, removed the old paste and set some more, reseating the fan and heatsink etc.
Currently the temp is ranging between 47 and 50. I'm just about to try a sync again and see what happens.
Fingers, toes, eyebrows are all crossed!
Back soon!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow - looks like mine was way off then. Still syncing and still working. The cpu temp is hovering around 55% at the moment whilst syncing etc.

I assume then the cpu has built in protection which shuts it off.

Not ready to uncross fingers but im starting to smile now.

Thanks for the advice peeps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.