Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya, im new and I wanted some help to conect my computer to my router. I had a Dell laptop, from which I could easily connect, and now I got another Lenovo. In the Lenovo, I try to connect to my router, it is done by Thinkvantage, It finds the networks, and I connect to my Netgear router. the netgear is connecting, but is not asking for a password, like how it did when I first connected my Dell with it. It just directly tries to connect, and I don't know where to put the password. So, I thought maybe some1 here could help me :)
Umm.. other than that, I had Vista in Dell, XP in lenovo. I just need a way for it to ask a password, I think then it would be ok, i think some1 put a wrong pass bmistake for the first time,(b4 me) and that pass has been saved.

Just in case, I browsed a lot in the forums, and everywhere I found the next post is peoploe asking for ipconfig/all in cmdprompt. So i thought I should just post it directly... :
((This is the ipconfig/all from my Lenovo, the Dell has gone for servicing, so It will come back in round 1-2 weeks))
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\xxxxxx>ipconfig/all
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XXX [I dont think this will affect the rest much...]
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : zylog.co.in

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethern
et
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-58-CD-A5-25

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : zylog.co.in
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
k Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-BF-75-D5-40
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.31.208
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.28.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.28.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.28.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 15, 2010 9:01:56 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 15, 2010 9:31:56 PM

PPP adapter CDMA_1X:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 115.184.155.233
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 115.184.155.233
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 202.138.103.100

·
Registered
984 Posts
What model of Netgear?

Who is your ISP/Internet provider?

Are you talking about Wireless connection or Wired connection?

If Wireless you mean the Wireless Key/Password?

This will be configured in the router. If the router was provided free by your ISP...some not all put a sticky label on the router underneath and this can include the Wireless Key/Password.

Failing that we would ask for the model of Netgear and for you to try a wired connection with an Ethernet cable to A) Test Internet Works Wired and B) Enable You To Access The Router Setup To Establish What The Wireless Setting Are.

A screenshot of the password request screen you are seeing would also help here maybe?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's like this, I have an airtel modem, it was wired. Then I set up a wireless router by myself. The wireless router has no password that I know of. In my Dell I first got the airtel provided modem.
When I connected with wire on it, it asked for a password. And then It was saved on my dell, but I still know that password.... When I connected by router, after like a year, A prompt came for the pass, and I put in the same one, and It connected, and from there on, It connected directly when I started my Dell. The net
The modem is an airtel provided beetel 220BXI[PS: I am not sure if it is 1 or i] ADSL2+modem.
The netgear I got, I bought it on my own, a Netgear, 54Mbps Wireless router,WGR614 v6
[PS: again I am not sure what you wanted, so I just typed what is written on top]

In my dell, I had a function to find wireless networks, It searched for my NETGEAR, and I put the pass and it connected. Now in Lenovo, I have thinkvantage, which finds networks. It finds my NETGEAR network, but DOES'NT ask for the pass. I want it to ask for the pass, It just directly tries to connect, and it fails...
Found the network :

Now when I click on my network, and I click connect, this directly comes:
Attemting to connect Picture:

Then , it fails:
Failed to connect Picture:

But when I connec with another network for the first time, which has a pass, it asks for the pass b4 trying to connect. I want that to come. The prob is that I want the pass request screen, so I can't put a pic of it. The internet definitely works, I checked everything and it works on my blackberry... (where it asked for the password) but on Lenovo, it is not asking for anything.

PS: The 'help me fix this...' does'nt help very much

EDIT: I forgot to thank you for answering, so ...THANKS

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks thats clear. The Thinkadvantage utility should be bypassed. Please try and use the in-built WZC (Windows Zero Configuration) utility for XP. See website how to enable it:

http://www.edimax.us/html/Faq/FAQ_xpwireless.htm

Let us know but this should result in a password prompt after clicking View Available Networks -- Then click Netgear in the list and Connect. It will prompt for the password twice to confirm.

Hope this helps?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can mark your own threads solved using the
button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.©
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.