Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a Windows XP Home OEM installation disc...

However, once Microsoft chooses not to support Windows XP anymore, will I still be able to activate it?

For example, if I wanted to install and activate Windows XP 10 years from now, would it still work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Microsoft have committed to providing full support for XP until the end of 2014.

Historically Microsoft have always extended product support beyond the published dates so I think that you are quite safe in committing to XP for a long time yet.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Activation is not part of support it is entirely different and if 10 years from now if you want to keep using an out-of-date OS I would say probably not. If you want to keep using it get Acronis True Image and image the system, then you do not have to worry about re-activation.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Hi osrom1e

I agree, activation is not part of support. However, I think it reasonable to assume that if XP is going to be supported until 2014+ then reactivation will be available until at least that time-frame.

It would seem ridiculous to provide support for a product that you could not activate..... but then again some strange things do happen :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.