Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Basically, after installing Windows XP Proffesional on my PC, I activated it via the telephone. I restarted my computer right after (it probably wasn't even necessary) and upon logging in, it gave me this error message:

"This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft in order to proceed" or something along those lines.

I figured, that's fine, I'll just call them again or activate it via the internet. No dice. After clicking ok to the message above, the activation window that popped up said something similar to:

"This copy of windows has already been activated, click ok to return to the log in screen".

When I clicked on the account again, the same message popped up and so on. Calling Microsoft didn't help. After waiting for 20 mins, I finally reached a representative who immediately told me to call a number that didn't work.

One last thing. I've already re-installed Windows once using the same activation key, so I don't think that it is at fault here. This error did not occur then.

Might anyone help?

Morde,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fantastic!

Albeit impossible for me right now considering that I can't actually log on, this is great. I think I'll just end up reinstalling the windows and running this Guided Help program right after activating it (before restarting). Thanks a lot, I'll do it later tonight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GAH!

It didn't work!:(

After reinstalling Windows, I downloaded that program. After I activated it and it claimed that the problem was over, I restarted my computer. The error message popped up yet again except this time, instead of saying that the product was already activated, I went through the process once more with the automated telephone activation system they had. After I completed that, it logged me off immediately and upon pressing the account to log in, the message reappeared. Now it says that Windows is already activated again.

Thanks anyways,

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
You say you are re-installing Windows. Are you doing the format when going thru the installation? If not try doing a format during the installation this way you will not have any authentication info on the drive when doing the installation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the very first time this problem appeared was after I formatted it outside of the Windows installation. After the problem occured, I reformatted using the Windows CD. No change was present.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If by that you mean after I've already activated and rebooted to find Windows requesting me to activate yet again, then what happens is that the Microsoft Activation window pops up telling me that I have already activated. Clicking the only available option, "Exit", returns me back to the log-in screen a click away from the same request of activation.

Right now I'm talking to you from the same computer, just inactive (I inserted the Windows XP disc and used the repair feature), Microsoft offers an update that seems to fix this issue. The website is here,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811632 (Yes I know that it says Media Center Edition. However, I've looked all around and finally found something that describes my issue perfectly. This seems to be the best course of action considering that things can't get much worse)

I've installed the very first update and am now at the point where it requires validation in order to install any additional updates. I'm going to try activating now that the only update available is installed. If it doesn't work, I'll just repair and just keep looking for a solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, same problem.

I think I've reached a solution though. After downloading the update available from Microsoft Uptade, I downloaded SP1 and after restarting, SP2. Then I activated it and rebooted. The problem didn't occur and continues to leave me be.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.