Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any way to use your standard 360 controller on your computer
ive tried connecting wit a the usb cord and it says installing hardware
then nothing else comes up and i cant find it in the control panel
any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
145 Posts
Buying a new controller isn't necessary, all you need to do is download and install the xbox360's controller drivers, then plug it into your pc after the setup. I use my wired xbox 360 controller for tom clancy's H.a.w.k.s, Toca Race Driver Grid, prototype, etc, etc. I have found that It is automatically preconfigured to work with games that say "Games for Windows on the box"

·
Registered
145 Posts
You Windows Vista should already have the Xbox 360 drivers on it. To my knowledge Vista already comes shipped with those drivers in the system.

Have you tried running all the way through the new hardware wizard that pops up when you insert the controller and selecting "automatically search for software" (Or something similar)?

·
Registered
291 Posts
You need to buy the wireless adapter to PC for it to work. There is no way for it to work without this! Not sure about the post above with the wired controller....I only have wireless controllers

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, I bought the cheaper version of the XBOX 360 controller which was usb only (it's a microsoft controller I have, not the one of the cheaper generic ones.)

And just at the weekend my brother found that the usb charging cable for his wireless Xbox360 controller allowed him to use it on his windows vista home basic machine.

There seems to be conflicting information about the use of these controllers on the internet. It appears that wireless xbox360 controllers + charging cable works for some people and yet doesn't for others?

***EDIT***
Maybe there is variation in the usb charging cables, some may contain all 4 usb wires (5v, Data+, Data-, GND) which allow gaming with a flat battery and some may only contain 2 usb wires (5v, GND) to charge the controller and nothing else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.