Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HP Pavillion 515n running XP Home w/SP2. The computer came with 256 MB of ram but I am looking to upgrade. I did a scan of my computer which showed that I have a 256 MB DIMM with one open slot.

My confusion came in when I compared this reading to my computer properties. They show this:

Hewlett-Packard
Pavillion
Intel(R)
Celeron(R) CPU 2.30GHz
2.29 GHz, 248 MB of RAM

Why, when I should have 256 MB of RAM, does my computer show 248?

·
Super Moderator
43,953 Posts
OK, I have check the datasheet for your machine, your machine has intergrated video, up to 64Mb. It's possible that your machine is set to use only 8Mb. If you are planning to play any games, you may need to bump that up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couriant said:
OK, I have check the datasheet for your machine, your machine has intergrated video, up to 64Mb. It's possible that your machine is set to use only 8Mb. If you are planning to play any games, you may need to bump that up.
You got me on that one. How would I go about adjusting the intergated video?

·
Super Moderator
43,953 Posts
Usually in the BIOS. The manual should have information on how to change it.

Actually you should make sure that it is set to 8Mb by just going to Start > Run > type dxdiag. On the Display tab it should tell you what the memory is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.