Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new on here and it seems like a pretty big board so I'll just dive in.

Currently I'm on a wired connection to my router. I live in a student house with 13 other people. Recently I've become worried about the security of my PC. I feel I am adequately protected from the internet at large as I run BitDefender and I had a look at the router settings and everything seems ok.

However, I am worried about my PC's protection within the LAN. I'm no expert, however, I'm well aware of easy-to-use programs like Cain and Abel and people snooping around router logs, but I've become more suspicious lately. Today I when I was using my address bar on Chromium it was suddenly suggesting I search *Insert Chinese Characters* for "my search" *More Chinese Letters*; and yes, there are Chinese students in my house. I just get the feeling someone's snooping around the network.

I suppose what I'm asking here is:

Is there a decent software firewall I can use to further protect my PC?

Is there anyway to monitor unauthorized activity on my PC? What should I look out for?

What precautions should I take to minimize this risk?

·
Deceased Moderator Gone but never forgotten
82,272 Posts
Is there a decent software firewall I can use to further protect my PC?
The ones that come with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

Is there anyway to monitor unauthorized activity on my PC? What should I look out for?
I suppose, but it's better to keep people out with a firewall and a good login password. Actually, a login password is not sufficient if somebody can temporarily remove your hard drive or boot a (Linux) Live CD. Also use a BIOS password if you have that feature.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.