Tech Support Guy banner

What is the World's most pressing problem?

• Nuclear War

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Terrorism

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Pollution/Natural Resource Depletion

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Financial Instability

• Overpopulation

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Globalization

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Alien Invasion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Erosion of Social/Moral values

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • No Opinion/Don't Know

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Gone but Never Forgotten
27,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what YOU believe is the most pressing world issue. And I mean WORLD, not your personal problem, that of your city, country or any group to which you may belong. I mean the biggest problem for ALL people EVERYWHERE.

I will refrain from voting at first, or posting a reason why, and will allow all of you to vote, comment and debate it first (I have my own reason why).

*** PLEASE NOTE: Some of you have, as I stated in my post, that many issues are interrelated, therefore I have set this poll up to accept multiple selections. Hopefull it functions correctly. If you make a multiple selection, please note that your choices register. If not, let us know and state the choice(s) that did not register.

· Registered
19,147 Posts
I picked erosion of social and moral values......of course then I have to wonder which era had the best social and moral values and then take a look at what has changed in the world around us since then. You know where my mind goes at the thought but I wont let my fingers type it. ;)

This is a great poll Jim....cant wait to see what people are concerned about the most.

· Registered
51,087 Posts
Hey jim, I thought you didn't like political threads! Doesn't get anymore political than this.

Unforutantely, you didn't have the most obvious and biggest problem in the world listed: Liberalism! ;)

· Registered
3,239 Posts
I have looked several times and found it was a little too hard to chose just one of those.

· Registered
11,958 Posts
Jim
I believe the following and voted same.

Terrorism: Now here is an unknown renegade factor that goes beyond the laws of self preservation. Of all the selections, this item is by far the worse since it lacks Honor, Respect, Courage, and is based in twisted Religious belief. Several of the other selections, Pollution, Financial instability, Nuclear technology, and remotely the Erosion of Social\moral values are weapons in the hands of these people along with fear of all the above.

Dave

· Registered
20,207 Posts
I voted 'Other' - a huge asteroid striking the earth, ending all life would worry me more than any of the other choices - none of the others will ever be resolved, so why worry? Cynical? Yeah!! Humans will be humans until the end of time. Their has never been peace and stability on earth since man became, and there never will be.

What? Me worry!:D

· Registered
19,147 Posts
well....one of the main problems is the lack of respect for human life (a moral issue)......which can lead to terrorism and all of the other choices Jim offered us. "Twisted religion" is just that.....twisted.

Greed, selfishness, envy, hate, indifference, lack of compassion, pride, willful blindness....all moral issues leading to crimes against humanity, imo. I believe the world's worst problem is definately a moral issue. Take care of the moral issues and the rest will take care of itself.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place since I believe a departure from God's standards is the real reason why the world is heading in the direction its going. Its probably best that I not take part in this one. I'll definately be watching how the discussion evolves though, even though I'll be biting my tongue the whole time :D

· Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by valley20:
I picked erosion of social and moral values......of course then I have to wonder which era had the best social and moral values and then take a look at what has changed in the world around us since then. You know where my mind goes at the thought but I wont let my fingers type it. ;)

This is a great poll Jim....cant wait to see what people are concerned about the most.
Yes I did to. The break down of social and moral values. It really starts here that will lead to all the above, either it's for Power/Money/control and the list goes on. One that's grown up without any values, values only the things to which the heart desires like greed, hate,envy, desires that not all will think and act on these values/desires but hold it's own way with our thinking and ways and how we act towards another.

Ok now saying this, I'm holding back some only not to demean anyone to what I've just said, it's just my opinion :D

Opp's my figers went wild :(

Jay

27,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave: Leave it to you for an early and astute reply! Such polls are limited by the yes/no restrictions. As no man is an island, no human issue is isolated; we and our actions are all interrelated.

Valley: You know that any comments within the bounds of forum rules are acceptable, and in MY threads, warmly welcomed. Do not censor yourself.

Chris: If this works correctly, multiple choices are allowed. As I said in response to Dave's post, several choices can be interrelated. I am am limited by the constraints of the poll technology.

Mr. Mulder: With all due respect, you may see all issues as political but I did not create this poll in a political frame of mind. But unfortunately (or not), most events are interpreted so.

Kath: "SLAM DUNK!"? I take that to be sports/basketball? I'll file that under "other". :D

· Registered
138 Posts
Sorry I wasn't talking about everything like Alien invasion :rolleyes: :D

Just in general didn't mean to take this out of context.

all the obove are problems.

Pollution is a big problem.
Naural resources depletion can happen if there was World War lll or because of over population.
financial instablitity with the economy can be a problem.

If I could vote more then once I would pick a few of them.

J

· Registered
1,221 Posts
If anyone is interested I also voted for terrorism and social/moral. Was sort of hard to conclude what is really the most pressing at this time. Of course, if all social/moral value issues were "solved", I am sure terrorism would literally cease to exist and a lot of the other problems and issues across the world.

Just thought I'd comment on this interesting poll :D

· Banned
47,448 Posts
I picked #3 Pollution/Natural Resource Depletion

I think ,with the exception of Other and No opinion(naturally)and aliens, any of these can bring the world to a devistated state, But with #3, I see the possibility of such intense global competion for limited resources that all of these become a combined issue that civilization will have a tougher time rebounding from than anyother individual problem.

· Registered
682 Posts
The main reason is not on your list......boy this is gonna open a can of worms....
Its Religion.

· Registered
10,799 Posts
Originally posted by Prrebel:
The main reason is not on your list......boy this is gonna open a can of worms....
Its Religion.
stiring the pot a little :eek:

I honestly have no opinion the world is a messed up place and there are so many things that are wrong. I have no idea where to start.... :confused:

· Registered
2,920 Posts
Although I voted for erosion of Social/Moral values, I think the correct term would be Erosion of Social/Moral Ideals. I disagree with you valley and Prrebel, I don't think it is religion. I think the problems with religion stem from a lack of respect from opposing religious factions. Hence, Erosion of Social/Moral Ideals. I think Terrorism and Nuclear war also fall under this category. I think dropping nuclear weapons on Japan was one of the biggest mistakes this country ever made. Yes it did end the war, but it created a contempt from all other countries against the power of the U.S. I also do not believe we realized the total devastation such a bomb would create, nor the lasting effects in the area a decade later. I may be being Idealistic but I think had we known, we never would have released such a terror upon the world. But now we do know the extent of a nuclear bombs power. I believe it would take an extreme breakdown of Social/Moral Ideals for anyone to willingly release that sort of destruction again. Terrorism is the epitome of hatred/lack of respect.

Pollution in my mind is the second biggest problem. I love the outdoors, and reading about the ozone layer(which is mending itself already) and bio-accumulation of heavy metals in organisms such as tuna (The reason pregnant women are advised against eating alot of fish during their pregnancy.) has given me many things to ponder. I recently created a website for a local Non-profit. http://sblc-mi.org I decided I wanted a quote for it to make people think about how their actions effect the environment. The quote I chose was.

"Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb
That is how I feel.

As for Alien Invasion I think we're past the point of needing to worry about that. Mulders been here for years!:D

· A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten
17,204 Posts
I voted other. Specifically, I believe that it is intolerance and lack of acceptance of the values of others. I believe that all of the other choices we were given fall under this basic foundation of disrespect for those who are not like us. The cure, LOVE:)

27,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I guess it's time for me to reply, since it is my thread, but I wanted to wait to see what kind of comments were made first.

First, I included Alien Invasion to bait the jokers and crackpots.

It's interesting that nobody picked nuclear warm despite the recent excitement about North Korea. Despite all the posturing this is very telling.

I suspected that no one selected financial instability and only one selected globalization. I thought that somebody would show concern about these.

I see that most of you chose Erosion of Social/Moral values. The reasons given are interesting and expected.

It's also comforting to see that some people care about pollution and natural resource depletion.

But if I may, I have chosen Overpopulation. As important and pressing are all of the above, they fail to meet the criteria of my question. To quote: "I mean the biggest problem for ALL people EVERYWHERE." As important as terorism, financial instability and erosion of social and moral values are concerned, they are not that big an issue for everybody. AS much as our governments would like us to believe, this is only a 'potential' world problem. As far as terorism is concerned, only a few countries are targeted. I'm sure the people of China, Chile and Czech Republic aren't overly concerned. Such issues, as large as they may seem, are only temporary ones in the grand scheme of things.

Nothing scares me more than nuclear war, but the realization of such would only be a very immediate and deadly form of the other great world threat: pollution.

But all of the above can be attributed to what I consider the greates threat. Overpopulation.

With very few exceptions (China's 1 baby rule is one) is anything being done about this. As human population expands and increases in density, there is no way to avoid "bumping" onto our neighbours, whether they like it or not. Population pressure causes such things as the breakdown of social and moral values. It's a well know sociological fact that social tension and breakdown is directly related to population density. Globalization is yet another bi-product of intense population increases. We look for better and bigger markets for our goods. We demand the right to sell all products to all people, everywhere.

The "economy", which started out as our tool to survive and flourish, has become a self-serving monster that demands "growth". Growth demands more consumers and cheap labour, which demands more cheap goods, which creates growth...and so on and so on.Vast stretches of rain forests are slash-and-burned to make way for grain and cattle production.

But one thing we fail to understand or even see is that the Earth's available space and resources are finite. It's a frightening fact that there are more people alive today than all the previous people that have ever lived. Ever. It wasn't until approximately 1825 that the world's population reached the 1 billion mark. It took only another 175 years to reach 6 billion. If that doesn't scare you than it should.

So if we solve all crime, terrorism, pollution and social unrest, it will all come to naught as we simply run out of room.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.