Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI-- I've been writng in Works (came installed) and find when I attach to email it can't be opened on the other end.
My question is, if I buy the Word program and install in the same computer (Home XP) as the Works, can I convert (or transfer) my text from Works to Word? To solve and simplify future problems? Seems everyone has Word except me.
I'm basically interested in writing (the processor, I guess) and not all the bells and whistles. I'm really stalled. Thanks for any info you can give.
Martin

·
Registered
885 Posts
sammysays said:
I'm basically interested in writing (the processor, I guess) and not all the bells and whistles. I'm really stalled. Thanks for any info you can give.
Martin
Suggestion: If you have only a few documents to format- you could open them in your Works and save them as .rtf format which can be read in virtually any modern word processor (including M$Word).

Why spend money on another M$ product?? Try AbiWord for FREE. It can produce files in the Word's own format (.doc) or the (.rtf) that I mentioned--- as well as several other formats.

All future updates will be free and you can legally give copies to all your friends-- and their future updates will also be free. Download it here:
http://www.abisource.com/

If for any reason you are ever dissatisfied-- you could always spend your hard-earned money at M$ (but, I 'm sure you will be happy).

Also; If you ever need a replacement for the "bells and whistles"--- like, a spreadsheet compatible with Excel-- or a presentation software compatible with PowerPoint--- You could download the FREE office software suite, OpenOffice (however, if all you want is a great word processor for now, I'd suggest AbiWord)

OpenOffice can be downloaded here:
http://www.openoffice.org/

letchworth
(listen to kiwiguy if you have a lot of files to convert--, but longtern, AbiWord would be a great permanent solution)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kiwiguy & letchworth-- Just opened email. Thanks so much for the suggestions. Regarding .rtf format: though I've built a couple of websites I'm basically a retired creative type (art/writing) who only learns what he needs at the moment, and therefore a whopping techno dummy, and haven't the foggiest idea what .rtf is, or how to save in it. Can you give a hint--what and how? Thanks again.
P.S. I'll be looking into the free stuff. And I love the $ sign in Microsoft.
Martin
P.P.S. Looked up .rtf: Rich Text Format, but didn't learn how to use. Also checked on OpenOffice & saw a 6-hour download (wow), so will wait until nighttime to execute.

·
Registered
885 Posts
OpenOffice is great - however, if all you need is the wordprocessor, I'd download AbiWord. OpenOffice will be available if you ever need it- and AbiWord's download is much, much faster.

As for .rtf: The good news is that you really don't need to know anything but a couple simple steps (the computer does the work for you). It is just a different format.

In M$Works while writing something (or having read an old file back into the program) select "FILE", then "Save As". A dialog box will give you the opportunity to name the file (or use the existing name)- but just below the line for the name is a drop-down menue of file extensions (or file types). One will be selected by default, that is the one Works uses if you do not supply an extension. However, (I'm doing this from memory- so bear with me) the dropdown menu lists several formats that Works is able to save to, including .txt, .rtf, and others. Select .rtf and not only will that extension replace the one now on the file, you will actually be saving the file in a different format (one which can be read by any modern word processor). By-the-way, .txt is even more universal-- however, it does not retain your formatting-- it is good for many things, but without the paragraph formats, etc., it is a bit awkward.

Works is pretty good if you are just preparing documents for yourself- or expecting to pass along information as printed material; however, for distributing the files as attachments- most recipients will not be able to read it in the Works format-- It could be attached as .rtf or .txt and everyone could read it.

Happy New Years,
letchworth

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Letchworth-- I've printed out all of your info for reference. I've transposed a 50 page text to .rtf, which is simple when you know how, and I'm about to send it off--will see how it works. You guys are teriffic, really. Thanks so much for your help. And a Happy New Year to all.
Martin.

·
Registered
211 Posts
sammysays said:
Hi thumb10.40-- I don't understand your question. Can you tell me where and what to read to get this info? Then I'll get back to you. Thanks.
Martin
Yes, If you know what folder your file is in you can right click on it and hit properties. On the general tab it will say Type of file:

That is were you can see what type of file you have.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I am very pleased that the .rtf solution worked for you

Please let your friend know what you are doing, so that if he needs to send you a file, he can also send it in .rtf-- that way you can read his files as well.

Happy New Years
letchworth

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thumb10.40--
Okay, I do go to Properties regularly. The General tab reads:

"Type of file: Microsoft Works word processor
Opens with: Microsoft Works Wo"

That's it. Pretty straight forward. I assume "Wo" means "Word." Though for awhile it meant, woe is me.

And thanks letchworth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.