Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of two days ago I began getting the following Visual Basic error every time I open or close Word 2002: "Compile error in hidden module: AutoExec"

By going to Help I've figured out this is a faulty macro but what I can't figure out is how to fix it.

I have updated virus protection and scan my system regularly. Any suggestions will be most appreciated. Thank you.

Ozzie

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dreamboat, thank you for the link. I went through all the steps and the problem perists. The next step is to re-install Office XP. If THAT doesn't work then I'm really in trouble.

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
Wait, Oz.
I think maybe you're not finding the right normal.dot file.
Did you look for 'em and delete 'em all?
YOu can call me ya know...just PM for the phone number, I'm only in PA.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How can it NOT be the right normal.dot? It's in the same directory as the other two re-named normal.dot files. It is also the only place search finds anything called norma.dot.

By the way - I just bought your book. An impulse buy.

I'm in the office with work up to here (just imagine where "here" is) - easier to email than talk.

Oz

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
Ok. A *compile error* is in VBA.
VBA can only be stored in:

normal.dot
other files in the startup folder

So, if you've already renamed normal.dot, then check the startup folder. Make sure your PC is viewing hidden and system files (I suspect you are if you found normal.dot), and move any files in Word's startup (as per the troubleshooting instructions) out of the startup folder.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, what do you know? I moved the two files that were in the startup directory - PDFMaker and PalmApp - and now all is well.

Okay - care to diagnose why one or both of those files were causing a problem? They have been in there forever. The PDF is how I convert docs to acrobat files and the other one is how I sync up the docs with my pilot.

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
A troubleshooter never looks for the cause, only the cure. LOL!!

Next time you take your car to the garage, and he returns it with a $600 price tag, make sure he tells you exactly WHY your transmission leaked oil... LOL!

Sorry, Ozzie. Usually...has to do with versions and such. I cannot know exactly why you'd have the specific problem...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I look forward to learning something from the book.

Okay, here's a "go figure" capper to this thread -- I re-installed Acrobat 6.0. I didn't set it up for Word. After installing I moved the old files - PDFMaker and PalmApp - back into the startup directory. And... all is well. The same files that were causing trouble are now fine. Conclusion - the problem was somewhere else in Acrobat and NOT with Word or VB itself.

As you said - finding cures, not causes. If they can do the same thing for my lower back pain I would be most grateful. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.