Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what I did but in my word I downloaded a template. There was no problem there. But I want to remove it now and don't know how. Also I keep getting a message that it is locked by me being the editor. Can you help me get rid of it thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
Search your hard drive for *.dot files.

You should be able to find one dated unlike the others, or perhaps you'll recognize its name. Just delete it.

I'm changing the title of your question because it is not referred to as Word 6.0, which is a very old version of the "real" Word. I believe if you open Word and hit Help-About Word, you'll find you have Word 2002.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will see if that works. Thanks for such FAST info. Also while Im here maybe you can direct me to a good defragmenter besides the one that came with puter. I tried scan3.1 but didn't like it and also where do I go to get someone to tell me what files are spyed on it my puter . Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
Sorry, carole. I don't recommend downloading any additional software to do the things Windows already has built in. You might want to check the Windows forum, tho.

I'm just personally not much of a downloader....

If it takes a long time to defrag, just leave your 'puter on overnight and let it run.

Check here for some more info:

www.theofficeexperts.com/cleanyourpc.htm

Good luck.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops. Your dealing with a not too bright person here, when it comes to puters. How do I check my hard drive for the dot files.
I went to find files and folders and typed in *.dot files but not there. Thanks

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
You're not viewing all your files.

Open Windows explorer.
Tools-Folder options
View tab
Make sure nothing is "hiding file extensions"
Make sure you're viewing "system files" and "hidden files"

:)

PS: Being bright has nothing to do with anything. You're not afraid to ask, and that is what will keep you learning! I'm still learning after years of this *&^%$!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will give that a try and again thank you so very much. Your help is really appreciated. Its nice people like you that makes it nicer for others. have a good nite. Will keep you informed about your help. Bye for now.:)

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
Anytime. Thanks for your kind words. It's askers like you that keep me willing to provide answers.

Not everybody is so nice!

I'll be waiting to hear how it all works out for you.

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
1. You cannot delete it if Word is open because Word ALWAYS uses the normal.dot file.

2. If Word is not open, it may still be active. Hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and look in the Applications list. If it's there, end task on it, then try deleting normal.dot again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.