Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got three Word 97 files, each with an Excel spreadheet in the top 2/3 of the page, with the rest of the page being regular Word text. THe font being displayed in the Excel portion appears crunched together, larger, and bolded. When I select the cells to edit it they are all set at Arial 10 pt. It looks fine when working in the cells, but as soon as I click out of that Excel frame the font reverts to the mess I first described.

Is this something that I must live with or is there a setting somewhere that is causing this conversion?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The first thing that springs to mind is the zoom settings of your two programs.
On my PC, Excel has a zoom of 100%, whereas in Word it's 80%. Therefore, if I link or embed an Excel file, it will appear more 'squashed up' in the Word page because the zoom has been reduced.

Gram

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Except that the zoom wouldn't effect the printed output. When it prints, the Excel portion prints larger and crunched together, just as it appears. So, I don't think it can be the zoom

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
jgates,

I've tried to recreate your problem. If you are in Word and go to Insert, File and select your Excel sheet, it is treated by Word as a table, and the font sizing should be consistent. You can increase cell sizes etc, and this does not affect the font.

However, if you link or embed an Excel sheet by going to Insert, Object, Excel worksheet, it treats the inserted file sort of like a picture file. It has sizing handles, so if you have tried to increase the size of the visible part of the Excel sheet by dragging the sizing handles, it will increase the font size both in the Word window and also when printed.

Gram

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gram- You're the man! You're exactly right. That's how it was done, and I should have included that bit of info with my message. I KNEW that it was created that way, but when I dble clicked on it to edit a cell the resulting spreadsheet appeared to be the same size as the handled graphic image so I didn't think it was effecting anything. Little did I know.

Your time and effort to reconstruct that problem is VERY much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Yeah, if you click on an embedded Excel sheet, it opens the Excel program up, which will have retained it's original size (including fonts).

Glad to be of help!

Gram

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.