Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a Gateway computer that had to be sent back to Gateway because it would not restore from the system restore disk. They reformatted. When she got it back however it will not automatically detect new plug and play devices. If software came with the device, ie a printer it may or may not recognize the device after installing the drivers. I've gone to device manager and tried to change settings to automatically detect - but had to manually update all drivers. I went to Control Panel - performance - systems and made sure Plug and Play was enabled and Universal Plug and Play was enabled.

Any suggestions?

OS is Windows XP.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
548 Posts
melonhead said:
If software came with the device, ie a printer it may or may not recognize the device after installing the drivers.
Hi melon,

The prescribed operation for installing USB equipment is: Install software then plug it in (with a reboot for good measure inbetween if you feel like it).
However, you can force it to work by telling it to install a driver from a specific location instead of letting Windows search for the driver itself. In the old days we used to have to really lead the horse to water but I believe you can now just tell it to look at the drive where the installation CD is and it will sniff out the correct driver.

US (munching on a mincepie)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It won't detect even after software is installed (sometimes) or it won't detect things you don't need to install software for ie. usb mouse.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Detect or install? When she plugs a device in, is the windows install wizzard initialising?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, it doesn't detect anything. No wizard starts. It does show up in device manager - but with an exclamation point and I have to click on update driver for it to recognize the device.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.