Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My understanding is that a wireless router settings can only be changed when you connect the router to your PC through ethernet cable. Today one of my friends is telling me it can be done wirelessly and without a cable, is this true?? :confused:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Like stated above, it is possible, but keep in mind that on many routers, when you apply any changes you make the router resets itself, and you would lose your wireless connection at that time, and then have to reestablish it before you could surf or log back into the router to make further changes. so its not that you cant use the wireless to make changes, its just that its generally a bad idea and can get kinda frustrating

·
Super Moderator
43,954 Posts
Hi,

My understanding is that a wireless router settings can only be changed when you connect the router to your PC through ethernet cable. Today one of my friends is telling me it can be done wirelessly and without a cable, is this true?? :confused:
Providing that you have already set your routers security as well as the details on your PC, then yes. Otherwise you may need to connect via ethernet.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, let's put it this way. It's foolish to configure wireless router wirelessly, and most manufacturers clearly state that you should configure using a wired connection for good reasons. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, let's put it this way. It's foolish to configure wireless router wirelessly, and most manufacturers clearly state that you should configure using a wired connection for good reasons. :)
True but it is also nice to be able to do some minor changes when you are away from the router like changing SSID or WPA//WEP pass :)

i really appreciate your help, i learned something new :p

·
Super Moderator
43,954 Posts
You can do that, but then you will have to go to all your wireless devices and change the SSID/WEP-WPA keys etc... it would be a pain in the rear. :D

Set it up right, then leave the smeg alone ;) :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can do that, but then you will have to go to all your wireless devices and change the SSID/WEP-WPA keys etc... it would be a pain in the rear. :D

Set it up right, then leave the smeg alone ;) :D
haha true, but that would be a pain even when using the ethernet cable ;) you would still have to change the info on all devices..

And true, if you set it up right the first time, there is no need to go back... But what if you just needed to block someone who is not supposed to use the router or something like this lol

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If you use WPA encryption with a strong key, there is no reason to use MAC filtering, and it can only cause you additional headaches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.