Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, y son got a wireless pci card for xmas from Santa, I've installed it for him and on the first day it worked fine, but now it just won't detect the signal form the router!
It will somtimes connect but it says the signal is very low, and afetr about 1 seconds it loses it's connection and drops off, and I have to restart the coputer to fix it again!
The router in question is a d-link G604T model, and the pci card is an Excel IEEE 802.11g Pci adapter, My sons computer is running windows xp sp1,it is a P4 intel celeron, with 256mb ram, & an 80 gig hdd.
As it is his xmas present he is extremel upset by this, I've tried several times to fix the issue and I just can't correct the problem.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Try changing the wireless channel, perhaps a neighbor also got a new wireless router and is stepping on your signal. :)

·
Deceased Moderator Gone but never forgotten
82,272 Posts
What John said is the most likely cause of the problem, but note that with all the wireless and other networking fixes and improvements in SP2 running with SP1 is not the easiest road to networking.

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
And I have to question why not install SP2. It provides a lot of fixes, and you can't get security updates from Windows Update anymore with SP1.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.