Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have found a few people with similar problems after extensive searching but nothing I have tried has worked so far.
I recently built a new PC from scratch, and installed Vista 32, which I am still getting to grips with. Everything works fine except the wireless connection drops seemingly at random about 1-3 times a day.

When it disconnects there are no wireless networks availible to connect to (there are usually 4 different networks in the list), and I have to disable and enable wireless networking on the network connections screen.

When I initially set up the computer i had a lot of trouble getting the wireless to work at all due to interference between the asus wifi software and vista. In order to get it to work I manually installed the drivers from the realtek website.

Other computers connected to the network are unaffected by the drop outs, including my XP laptop which I have right next to the computer.

Connection strength and internet speed is fine when it actually works.
All the software I am running is pretty much the same as on my XP laptop, so I can't think of any problems there.

I have tried numerous wireless channels, changing from b/g to g only, resetting the router, and reinstalling the wifi drivers several times. powersaving has been disabled for the wifi card also.

One thing that is a little perculiar is that, even though the wireless adapter is part of the motherboard, it appears as a usb2.0 device in the "safely remove hardware" list, but i have been unable to find alternative drivers.

This is all the information I can think to provide, other details are listed below:

PC:
intel Q6600
vista ultimate 32bit
Asus PK5-E motherboard with Asus Wifi Solo
Realtek RTL8187L Drivers installed (version 6.1304.1119.2007)

Wireless:
Be Broadband (UK)
SpeedTouch 780
802.11b/g
Channel Selection: Manual
Channel 11
Allow multicast from Broadband Network: Yes
Broadcast Network Name: No
Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed (automatically)
Security Mode: WEP 128bit

here is what i get from trying ipconfig /all:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\teaeff>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : teaeff-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : config

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : config
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps
USB 2.0 Network Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-AF-36-7E-5D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::bc30:92cd:b2b2:9920%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.66(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 March 2008 12:20:21
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 March 2008 14:57:16
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 218109359
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ether
net Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-60-71-50-56
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{A21B633D-C6DE-492A-BB07-86374FC53
730}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : config
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.66%19(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e66:21:393a:a83d:eba1(Prefer
red)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::21:393a:a83d:eba1%10(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Please let me know if you have any ideas about how to fix this. Since the wireless drops at random there may be a little delay between trying things out: nothing seems to cause the drop outs so i will pretty much just have to wait for it to happen.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
First please move that laptop away at least several feet. "right next to" is an invitation to interfere, especially if it is in the signal path and/or its wireless is enabled.

If it is an integrated wireless adapter you should have the latest driver from the motherboard manufacturer (maybe you already do; I got a little lost reading that part).

Failure to detect wireless networks that you know are there usually means one of two things (in my experience): multiple wireless utilities running (are you sure you got completely rid of the Asus one?) or the adapter is getting flaky (like my 3 1/3 year old one).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry if I wasn't very clear: the computer and laptop are both about 5m from the router, but are still several feet from each other.

Yes the wireless adapter is integrated with the motherboard. I uninstalled the drivers and Wifi Solo software that were originally installed, and replaced them with the up-to-date drivers from the realtek site. There are not any conflicts in the device manager, and since all the components of the PC are brand new I am assuming it is something to do with how the wireless adapter is set up in vista.

The main characteristic of the problem seems to be that everything works fine until the connection drops after anything between 1 and 10 hours, at which point no wireless networks are listed as being availible to connect to. Once I disable and enable the wireless adapter all the local wireless networks are visible again and I can re-connect to my home network.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
For an integrated wireless adapter you should have the latest driver from the motherboard manufacturer.

You have stated that the motherboard was made by Asus but you have the integrated wireless adapter driver from Realtek. There is no guarantee that the driver is the problem, but I'm a risk adverse type who would prefer to not ignore the possibility.

Wireless interference, of course, is always a suspect with symptoms like yours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately the drivers provided by Asus seemed to cause more harm than good, which seems to be a problem a lot of people seem to have had. I can't remember where I read about trying the realtek drivers as an alternative, but these people seem to have had problems with the Asus drivers (more specifically the software that is bundled with it):
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1196093&SiteID=17

The signal strength is good, and had no problems with my xp-based laptop, which leads me to believe it must be something to with how the wireless adapter is set up on my computer.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
"... believe it must be something to with how the wireless adapter is set up on my computer."

Me too! Our difference is in which driver we most distrust. :)

If your disconnects are mostly after about 10 hours you may be better off just putting up with them and then about monthly check to see if Asus or Realtek has updated a driver or if anybody has found a fix that may apply to you.

If you want to try the Asus driver again you may be able to use Device Manager to backup to it w/o reinstalling the utility. If you have to do a new install of everything you should be able to stop the Asus utility from running through
a. remove its icon from the Startup folder; or
b. using MSCONFIG; or
c. if it is a service you can set the Startup Type to 'disabled' (in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.