Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I am after a bit of help. My wireless connection on my PC started to play up a few weeks ago. I would turn my PC on, and it would connect just fine. But then randomly, the connection would drop, and I would have to "repair" by right clicking the wireless symbol down by the clock.

This woulld fix the problem but it would randomly drop again and I would have to repeat the cycle. It never used to do this!!! All the time, other wireless connections wouldn't be affected (my iPhone, partners laptop, xbox etc...)

I tried updating the driver to my wireless dongle, that didn't work. Then I installed the wireless utility which came with my wireless adapter. This worked. My connection is back on and is no longer dropping.

But I would like to know / fix whatever the problem is.

With my connection no longer dropping, I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes Anti Malware. That found 5 errors and removed them for me. I re-ran again in safe mode and it found nothing.

I tried swapping back to using WZC, but the same probelm occured, only this time, it wouldn't connect at all when trying to renew the ip address.

Reading through some of the posts, I tried changing the wireless channel to eradicate interferance. I changed from channel 1, to 13 then 6, but with no luck (although all my other wireless conenctions continued to work on ever channel)

My ISP is O2

I am using the supplied "O2 Wireless box II ADSL router / modem, model name TG585 v7, software version 7.4.20.5

My wireless encryption is WEP

My PC is running XP (home) SP3, using Firefox 3.5.2
Would be grateful for any help - Sorry for the essay!

Adam

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If The 3rd party wireless client works and WZC doesn't work, this seems like an easy fix. What's the problem with simply using the 3rd party client?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well there's no problem and I see where your coming from!

But if there is something on my PC which shouldn't be which is interfereing with WZC, is it not better to try and solve the problem rather than work around it? I just dont want whatever it is to cause more problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, now my wireless connection has dropped whilst using the Belkin wireless utility. I tried to repair, but when it connected to the network, it failed to acquire an IP address. Now my pc won't connect using the Belkin utility or WZC.

I tried unplugging my wireless adapter and re-insering, but evertime it fails to get an IP address.

Any ideas?

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect. If unsuccessful please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.