Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this might be a bit of a long one so bare with me.

We have a 20 gig download limit, and once this is used up our internet is capped to an unbearably slow speed. We seldomly download anything, unless it's a patch for a game, or the occasion streaming video on youtube.com.

For about a year or 2 or so of having this plan, we've never ever downloaded enough to get capped. However the past few months we've been getting capped. At first, we thought maybe we WERE downloading alot, since we're not very computer savvy, we weren't aware of exactly how big 20 gig was but naturally because we weren't downloading much, this is of course impossible. So we just decided to be a bit more careful with what we downloaded, but month after month our download limit continued to get sucked up.

This month (Currently only the 4th) our Usage Meter shows us having used 25% of our download limit (5 gig) which is of course impossible. I've played World of Warcraft, and that's all that constitutes as a download from my computer.

We called our ISP and they told us that the only thing they could think of that could be doing this is that someone from the outside has connected to our wireless router and is using our internet, and that we should put a password on it.

So I looked up on google anything I could find to put a password on our router, and the best guide I could find was this:

http://www.uwgb.edu/resnet/wireless_and_router_cofigs/netGear_router.htm

This is a guide for my router (Netgear WGT624) and shows how to put a password on. However, on step 11, where you do the 5 steps and click Apply, I do this, and when I click apply, I lose connection to the network and am unable to connect again unless I press the button on the router to restore factory settings.

So can anyone help me with setting up a password please? This is really bugging me and I'd really appreciate it if you could!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mrsafest said:
Nothing to suggest...just aw'd by how much bandwidth you get per-month. I would use that up in 12 hours or less. Not good.
As I said, we seldomly download anything. No movies, games, no torrents, nothing. We download a song occasionally, stream on youtube, and play computer games like World of Warcraft and Counterstrike and that's literally it.
The past month or so, I've been waiting til off peak hours, since our downloads during that time dont affect our limit, to go to youtube or download songs, so literally the only downloading that gets done is from playing computer games, yet still our limit continues to get sucked up. I desperately need help!
 

·
Retired Moderator
Joined
·
106,726 Posts
You don't need a router password, you need to encrypt your wireless link! Stop screwing around with the password and get encryption enabled. Forget MAC filtering, SSID hiding, etc., they'll only make it harder for you to use your network. WPA/WPA2 with a long random key is the best, WEP will be better that nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JohnWill said:
You don't need a router password, you need to encrypt your wireless link! Stop screwing around with the password and get encryption enabled. Forget MAC filtering, SSID hiding, etc., they'll only make it harder for you to use your network. WPA/WPA2 with a long random key is the best, WEP will be better that nothing.
I'll give it a go, but I'm sure that's the part mentioned in the guide that doesn't work for me.

I have the option to enable WPA and provide a key, but as soon as I press Accept, I get booted off the network and can't get back on unless I reset the router to its previous settings. :confused: :confused: :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
Of course it boots you becasue you do not have the correct password for your connection. You disconnect yourself when you put in the password.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jmwills said:
Of course it boots you becasue you do not have the correct password for your connection. You disconnect yourself when you put in the password.
But then I attempt to enter the key that I set for it and it wont work.. Says something about the key needing 32 bit something or others........ I'm not sure exactly on the error that comes up, I'll have to get back to you tomorrow when I can try it again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
Hi,
I beleive that there should be link on the menu called wireless setup or settings or something.
I recommend connecting via a ethernet cable for the setup part.
After going to here, you want to make sure that the wireless access point is enabled (you haven't said if you were running your network via cable or wireless, although I probably missed it).
You then want to stop it from hiding the ssid.
You want to disable the allowed connection list for now.
Then add a WPA-TSK key and pick something strange like I have once wrote the titles of books that i saw on a bookshelf and just changed letters to numbers etc.
Anyway, after that you want to click apply.
Ok, now being connected via a ethernet cable, you shouldn't be disconnected.
Now to connect wirelessly I would recommend that you unplug the ethernet cable.
Now i take it you have a wireless card or adapter installed, and that it should have an icon within the connections menu. Go to start > run > type "ncpa.cpl" without the quotes.
Now in this menu, you should have your wireless adapter listed.
Right click and click view available wireless networks.
When the menu opens click refresh network list.
Then when you find your one, click on it then click connect and enter your WPA-TSK.

Kind Regards
Anthony
 

·
Retired Moderator
Joined
·
106,726 Posts
poetictraged said:
I'll give it a go, but I'm sure that's the part mentioned in the guide that doesn't work for me.

I have the option to enable WPA and provide a key, but as soon as I press Accept, I get booted off the network and can't get back on unless I reset the router to its previous settings. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Don't configure a wireless router from a wireless connection for what I hope are obvious reasons! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anthony:-P said:
Hi,
I beleive that there should be link on the menu called wireless setup or settings or something.
I recommend connecting via a ethernet cable for the setup part.
After going to here, you want to make sure that the wireless access point is enabled (you haven't said if you were running your network via cable or wireless, although I probably missed it).
You then want to stop it from hiding the ssid.
You want to disable the allowed connection list for now.
Then add a WPA-TSK key and pick something strange like I have once wrote the titles of books that i saw on a bookshelf and just changed letters to numbers etc.
Anyway, after that you want to click apply.
Ok, now being connected via a ethernet cable, you shouldn't be disconnected.
Now to connect wirelessly I would recommend that you unplug the ethernet cable.
Now i take it you have a wireless card or adapter installed, and that it should have an icon within the connections menu. Go to start > run > type "ncpa.cpl" without the quotes.
Now in this menu, you should have your wireless adapter listed.
Right click and click view available wireless networks.
When the menu opens click refresh network list.
Then when you find your one, click on it then click connect and enter your WPA-TSK.

Kind Regards
Anthony
I'm not very good with computers.. So things that may be obvious or common sense to some of you may not be for me. Hence why I'm here. :p

Thanks for taking the time to type that Anthony, however, there's a few things...

I can't find any options that deal with hiding the SSID or disabling the allowed connection list. I was able to input a key into the WPA thing, and pressed Apply, which is when the network connection gets lost. When I try to connect to the network again through the "View Available Wireless Networks" it asks me to put in a key which I assume is the WPA one I entered in the settings, so I enter it in and then put it in a second time to confirm it, so when I do and then try to connect with the key I put in in the settings, it comes up with this error:

"The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters."

So yeah, it might be an obvious solution, or there might be something I'm missing... Anyone care to enlighten me?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top