Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We are looking to network about 6-8 PC's. windows 98 or maybe 2000
What is the scoop on top of the line technology for this?
And if you happen to know - what is cost - best place to purchase - would that number qualify for quantity discount ?
Many thanks,,

·
Registered
803 Posts
Muruga -

I have a Linksys wireless network at home and I love it. I bought a router / switch / wireless hub combo (BEFW11S4 ) from Buy.com. I have three computers wired to it using ethernet (they are all very close and I don't want to spend money on wireless cards) and one wireless notebook that I can use anywhere in the house. We have a cable modem attached to the setup also.

I don't know how many wireless devices it can handle, but I think it's a pretty good number.

For the technologhy, It's the 802.11b standard. The range is decent, the speed is OK for surfing the internet, but it certainly is a LOT slower than regular ethernet. I think a new standard is in the works (802.11a), but I don't know anything about it.

I have a combination of Win95, Win98, Win2000 and just upgraded a computer to WinXP. All are working just fine.

Like i said above, i got my stuff from Buy.com. They are FAST and have good prices. There's currently a thread in the reviews forum about Buy.com.

I hope this helps a little. Good Luck.

Tommy

PS - you might have more luck in the Networking forum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.