Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just connected my old desktop running XP to a Wireless AP via a PCI Ethernet card. The W/less AP has been cofigured with no real problems. so far, so good! However when I try get my laptop with XP and a PRISM 802.11g Adapter, I get a connection status of "Limited or no connectivity. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer"

If tried the Win XP repair as well as the cmd promt "ipconfig -release" and "ipconfig -renew" to no avail!!!

Help. I get the impression that a simple solution is just outside my knowledge level.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Is your wireless AP set to assign IP addresses (something like DHCP Server enabled)? Does your desktop get its IP from the AP?

On your laptop are TCP/IP properties set to Obtain IP and DNS addresses automatically? Are you using Windows' WZC or your adaptor's utility to manage the wireless connection? Do you detect any other signals or just your own?

Don't use encryption until after you get the network working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I've now cracked the IP adress issue, but now i can't see any computers on the network. Annoying because for a short time they could be seen!!!!

Is there anything that may have cause this as I tried to sort the IP address thing.

There is traffic on the network and the strength is excellent on the wireless part of the network.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Did you drop all your firewalls on the connections? Also, did you create a user account for both machines?

Check the Subnet mask and workgroup name. They have to be identical.

Also, strength of signal says nothing about the quality of the signal which can be affected by EMI sources in between.. Try a few different locations while cycling power to the laptop and see if it makes any difference.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
"i can't see any computers on the network"

We need you to be a little more specific on "see." First, per gotrootdude, disable or uninstall firewalls until you get a satisfactory network. Did you put both computers in same workgroup, assign unique computer names and enable file sharing?

Now, from each computer can you ping the other one by address? By name?

If above is working, what happens on "view workgroup computers" from My Network Places?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem varies over time. Initially I could see both computers on the network, but I could only work one way. By that I mean I can open drives and folders on the network only from one of the computers and not from the other. I could only ping one way. I get a message along the line of not having permissions to access this resource.

Network names are different, file sharing is enabled, the workgroup is correct and the fire walls have been dropped.

Could it be the routing from the wireless enable laptop through the Wireless AP which connects via thernet to the desktop is not correctly configured.

Ha, I niavely thought that Win XP let you just plug these things in and off you go! Appreciate the help so far.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
In your last post you said, "I could only ping one way." What's the deal now, in particular:

From each computer can you ping (a) the router; (b) the other one by address; (c) the other one by name?

The answers to these six questions should pretty well settle your routing question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.