Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

You will have to excuse me, I am not up to speed with all the computer lingo.

What I have is :-

Desktop Computer
Laptop with Wireless Card
2mb broadband connection

I want to be able to share the connection if I choose, ie....If desktop is online, enable laptop and vise versa.

I think I know what I need ( Wireless Router, and Wireless card for desktop ). But when I see descriptions of routers, it gives a load of tech jargon.

What router do I need to not hinder the 2mb connection I have? and is there a certain spec of card to do the same?

Many Thanks,

·
Registered
445 Posts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122022 -- 108mpbs router

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833150014 -- Wireless USB Adapter (if can't use the built-in ports on router)

I would recommend getting a router with atleast a 54Mpbs transfer rate (108Mpbs is faster) depending the speed of your laptop it will only connect as fast as your wireless card is..then I would recommend if possible to use the ethernet port to connect to your desktop as ethernet is much faster than wireless and much more stable. If not possible then you can get a wireless USB device, makes it easier to install/setup than the internal PCI style.

With a router you'll be able to have both laptop and desktop on at the same time..

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
paulopbrumbo, if you're still watching this thread:

Absolutely, positively DO NOT get the Linksys WKPC54G combo kit! It comes with a PCMCIA card and router. The router is a lesser (crippled, IMO) version with only one antenna instead of two, and it's not even removable so you can't replace it with a higher gain antenna. It locks up at least once, usually twice a week and I have to reboot it. I get intermittent drops several time a day. I haven't heard bad things about the "real" Linksys router. Basically, if you go with Linksys make sure you stay away from the combo and pay close attention to the router you get (two antennas that are removable and replacable).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.