Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my laptop whenever I activate the wireless intenet it gives me the blue screen of death. It's Windows XP home edition, and the connector thing is Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection. For 1-2 weeks I've unknowingly had the wifi/wireless turned off because in the college dorms I use broadband and today I just figured out how to turn it back on (I have to hit the blue Fn key and then F2 because the second function/blue function is wireless/wifi I beleive because it turns on the WiFi button next to the capslock/etc buttons). Everything is fine until I turn on the Wifi and try to connect to my home wireless connection thing...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi Terra, I'm a little confused! First, When you turn on your laptop, Do you have a "wireless icon" in your notification area? Is your "adapter" built into your laptop or is it a card?What mfr laptop?
Ben

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

What country are you located in.
Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model of the router (if a separate unit).
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Make and model of your computer.
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP1-SP2, Vista, etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?

If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 216.109.112.135

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Make sure you have the latest driver from your laptop manufacturer's (Dell?) web site for the Intel adapter. If you then still have the same problem there is probably a hardware issue with the adapter; in that case I'd email (or call) the laptop's tech support.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.