Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Compaq Presario 2100. I know it's old and obsolete, but it's all I have right now until I can make enough money to get a new system. My problem lies with my wireless network connection.

One minute I'll be connected to my wireless network with a "good" or "excellent" connection, and out of nowhere I will lose my connection, and it will say that no wireless networks are in range.

I know the problem ISNT with my router because my roommate uses the same connection and has none of these problems. Sometimes I will get a good steady connection for hours at a time with no problems, and other times I can't get a connection for more than a minute or two before it drops out.

I am running Mcfee Anti Virus software, and it isn't detecting any problems, so I really need some help

What could possibly be causing this? Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
What wireless utility are you using to manage the connection? Are you sure that no other wireless utility is running?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a system restore to about a month ago, and my internet connection seems to be working ok now. But no, my network is not secure. My neighbors can steal it if they want only because I can't figure out how to secure it. If anyone can help me out with that it'd be cool

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I tried what you said Terry. But the drop down menu for "Data Encryption" give me two choices "Open" and "WEP" When I switch it to WEP I lose my wireless connection and my computer will not connect to the network again until I switch it back to Open access

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Old router. :) Maybe a firmware update will give it WPA capability.

When using WEP use a HEXadecimal key because the ascii passcodes may be translated differently by different devices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.