Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to troubleshoot a wireless problem on a HP laptop for the last couple of months with no success. I have a laptop, XP, that is running off a Lynksys router. I have all settings fine, but when I restart, settings are lost. I go through run/services.msc/wireless zero configuation. It will show Service Status: stopped. I then Start, and go back to taskbar icons to establish service. You have to do this with every restart. Linksys says this is a Windows Zero Config problem. I've kept up with windows updates and had the laptop to a computer repair shop, but the problem continues

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, settings were saved for about 4 reboots. Unfortunately, they are no longer. On the computer with the red "X" in the taskbar, I can right click and do a repair to get the internet connection back. I am so puzzled as to why it won't long-term save these settings. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not know how to get to the Registry Editor to look in it.

In the Wireless Zero Configuration it is set to Automatic. The setting keeps changing from Start to Stopped, though.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Try this setting. Open WZC properties. On the Recovery tab, under Select the computer's response if this service fails> First failure> on the drop down, select Restart the service. Make sure that 0 days is selected beside Reset fail count after:. Then Apply and OK.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, you've lost me again. Is the WZC still in the Registry? Are you looking at the WZCSVC file still? A right click doesn't get me a properties option to find the Recovery tab.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The Windows Zero Configuration he's referring to is accessed in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, near the bottom of the list.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your help. In the WZC folder, in the Recovery tab I did elect to "Restart the Service". I have rebooted the laptop a few times. So far wireless is available but looking in the WZC folder, service is back to Stopped.:confused:

Any other ideas to try? I do appreciate your help in this computer puzzle.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Sorry about the earlier mis-communication. Go back to services.msc from Run. Go down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service and double click on it. Make sure that it is set to Automatic in Startup type. WZC is dependent on this service. Then check Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator, mine is Stopped and set to Manual. See if you have this box checked in Wireless Network Connections Properties. If RPC and this is set correct, I am out of ideas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In RPC startup type is automatic and started.

In RPC locator, startup is manual and stopped.

I'm not for sure what you mean by a box checked in WZC.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
If you have a PCMCIA slot, why don't you try a cheapie wireless card just to be sure it's not the internal wirelss being flakey. Or even a USB wireless?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.