Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, searched the forums for a while but can't find anything that's quite like my problem.

I've been using my Vista laptop for a few weeks on a ZyXel router with no problem. Then yesterday morning when I tried to connect it says 'wireless association failed due to unknown reason'. There is another laptop available (which I'm using now) that runs XP and has zero issue connecting. Also, my laptop will connect to the neighbours network without problem, just not my own, even though it was previously working fine. No updates have taken place recently, and I tried changing the registry values a la the microsoft page with no joy.

I'm seriously stumped and massively frustrated. Please help

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Welcome to TSG:
Just to cover one of the basics.
Stack repair for XP and Vista.
Courtesy of Johnwill of the Networking forum.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows Vista.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

And:
Disable all firewalls including any third party firewalls and disable encryption .

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The stack repair is not needed, since this is connecting to another wireless network.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Actually, it will remove any 3rd party LSP connections. This includes firewall products and any other Internet security applications that needs to use the LSP stack. You'll have to reinstall those products after the stack repair to restore normal function.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I ran the stack repair stuff anyway. It still fails 'due to an unknown reason' but only once now. After I click diagnose it tells me that 'the connection to Zyxel was cancelled. This might be due to timeout or user action'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did eventually get connected, yes. The router is not mine and I was forbidden to reset it to factory defaults, as soon as the owner went to bed I did just that and connected straight away.

So it was a router problem all along.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Yep, that's where it seemed it might be. ;)

You can mark your own threads solved using the
button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.©
:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, me again.

It turns out that this isn't solved at all. Everytime I reset the router I can connect but then get booted off within twelve hours with the same message 'wireless association failed due to an unknown reason'.

Posting the ipconfig seems to be de rigeur, so here goes;

Someone mentioned to me that it sounds like something is 'packet-sniffing' and that's why the router is refusing my connection once security settings have been re-applied on it. Problem is, I don't know what packet-sniffing is or how to detect it.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.

1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
  2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
  5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.