Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning to all. I am currently using Wireless Networking which is working great. In the near future I am thinking of moving 2 of the 3 computers to the opposite end of the house. With wireless I will lose my signal strength. Therefore I am thinking of going Wired. My sons computer (which we will call #1) has the cable modem with roadrunner. The other 2 computers (#2 & #3) are in the same room next to my sons bedroom. All 3 computers are the same and all have an Ethernet card installed. All have open USB ports. So, now with that info, what equipment do I need to hook computers #2 & #3 to #1? How do I do this? I am trying to get by as cheap as possible since $ is kind of tight right now. Thank you in advance for all your assistance and suggestions.

Doug :)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I assume you have a wireless router at present? Most wireless routers have one or two 'wired' ports as well. If not, you will need to get a wired router and I'm sure you can do this for between $20 and $40 with rebates, sales, eBay, etc. I think you can get 100 feet of cable for under $20. The whole thing should be do-able for under $50.

Just put the router in the room with the modem, then run the cables from the router.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you are correct in your assumption. Now, what type of cable do I need? Can I use the ethernet cards already installed in each computer? What type of ends go on the cable? Thanks

·
Registered
719 Posts
You will use CAT-5 network cable with RJ45 connectors, (straight through pin-outs). These are readily available at most PC stores. Your current ethernet NIC cards should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.