Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those who've saved me many times in the past.....I'm baaaaaaaaack!! And ready to be grateful to you for your help again!
A couple of months ago, I downloaded and installed the new IE7 with SP2 and BOY!!, has it slowed down my 'puter!
By deductive reasoning and elimination, I decided that Defender was the culprit, so have deleted him and things are almost back to normal.
Now I would love to know how to isolate and eliminate the automatic Windows Updater. I've been through all my files and can't find it. The problem is that it takes forbloodyever for it to download updates, which also slows down my 'puter. (I'm on dialup). The problem with the automatic updater is that it downloads bunches of things that I don't need at all...........like for network computers and all. I'd rather do it myself, and pick and choose the updates needed for my puter.
Can you help??
Thank you in advance!!
TNgram

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
So by taking off Auto updates you think the machine is going to be faster? It's not IE7, nor is it SP2, it's probably underlying malware on your machine.
Windows Defender is wonderful.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,517 Posts
Right-click MY COMPUTER, click Properties, then click the "Automatic Updates" tab. Select "Turn off automatic updates", then click Apply - OK.

I keep all my computers set this way because I like to have complete control over what updates get installed. New critical updates are released by Microsoft on the second Tuesday of every month, so wait until the next day to do a scan and see what updates are available. Select the "Custom" button instead of the "Express" button because this option will allow you to select or deselect which updates you want to install.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The IE 7.0 and SP2 upgrades are not slowing down your computer. It's likely one or more of the following:

1. Too many unnecessary programs running in the background.

2. A large buildup of temp files and other junk files.

3. A buildup of spyware and other "nasties".

4. Too much used space and not enough free space in the hard drive.

5. The use of too much graphic "eye candy".

6. Not enough RAM installed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To JMWILLS: Thank you for responding to my problem.........but if you've read several other emails in this forum, you will see that I'm not the only one having problems since installing IE7!! On the contrary, you're the exception to the rule, it would seem. I congratulate you on your good luck!!

To FLAVALLEE: THANK YOU!!! I had no idea where to look to stop those auto updates, and you solved that problem very simply for me. Bless you, my child!!!

Gratefully,
TNgram

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Well, again most people don't realize there is a procedure to installing updates and definitely service packs. you need to have you computer absolutely clean and in order before attempting an install. I know Microsoft does not preach this but if you look they do recommend it for any update being installed.

Basically this is what they suggest and a few programs I recommend

XP SP1 Install (and install from SP1 to SP2)
ok here is what you need to do.
1) clean out your temp files in the temp folder.
2) clean out your temporary internet files and cookies.
3) defrag the hard drive.
4) turn off your anti virus and firewall before downloading the service pack and installing it.
5) during the install you will be asked if you want to archive the files, do so. the archived file scan be deleted later if the service pack works. having the archived files, will allow you to uninstall the service pack if you have any problems .
6) after the pc reboots, reboot a couple more times. this insures that when you start up every thing will start up with in a good time period.
7) after rebooting the extra times, turn your anti virus and firewall back on.
these steps will help insure that yuor download and install do not get corrupted. that is what causes alot of teh bad installs of the service pack.
after about a week of running the service pack adn yuo find that you do not need the back up files, here is teh info on how to remove the archived files.
SP1 - Removing Archived/Backup Files:
If you selected "yes" and did a backup it should be listed in Add/Remove. If not, check here: Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr
entVersion \Uninstall
If you no longer wish to uninstall SP1 you can remove those extra files, to do so: Set your folder options to show hidden files then go to: C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$ and delete it.
After uninstalling the folder go to Add or Remove, choose uninstall and it will fail and then the listing will be removed.
i have been running the service pack since it came out and before it was released when it was a beta package. i have not had any problems with it at all. as long as you follow the instructions i gave you should not have any problems with it.
if you have an HP or compaq, there are a couple of issues with these PCs and the service pack, but there is a fix.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here, Your correct I kind of just threw it together. I updated it and this is the order you should do it in. Sorry my fault

Simply create a system restore point before installing and you will be fine. IE7 installs just fine if done correct.

Some have issue with installing IE7. (99% is due to not following "installing an update procedure")
Steps to take before updating (pretty much should do this for every/any update, most of the following info at least)
1. Do a disk cleanup, clean temp Internet files, empty recycle bin and run spyware programs
(CCleaner is good for cleanup,)
I recommend
Ad-Aware SE Personal
I run this daily
SpywareBlaster 3.5.1
I update once a week (keeps bad pages with known malware that cold cause damage from being displayed.)
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Daily or every other day
CwShredder
This is one I only use once a month lol but good to have
AVG Anti-Spyware
daily
2. Remove anything you may have added to the browser such as Google toolbar ext.. (reinstall after update)
3. Run chkdsk and defrag
( Start, my computer, right click on your hard drive, select properties, select tools, error checking click "check now"(chkdsk). and defrag)
4. VERY IMPORTANT, disable your antivirus, Disable all spyware programs (they have many blockers on them such as homepage ext.. so they all need to be disabled)
5. Shut down any running program that does not need to be running. get it down to the bare min (just want XP running and nothing else)

Then download IE7 (from here)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...s/default.mspx

And install it.

If done correct you should have no issues with IE7, I personally have had only 1 install issue and have done so many I can't even count, and nobody has called to say they have an issue with it..
Now not to sound rude about it but if you did not follow the recommendations then nobody to blame but yourself. because if done correct you should have no troubles.

True issues do happen but if all the precautions are taken then the number of issues is very low compared to the ones who done it correct.

And yes I do understand that that information is not preached by Microsoft, they really should make it more known other then some page they have somewhere on their website.
Guess they want to keep all the techs in business.

Anyway now you know you should and how to get you computer ready for "any" update.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
These were pretty much the same reasons (started to use the "e" word) that people used when complaining about SP2. The vast majority of those cases were spyware.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,517 Posts
Turn off Automatic updates in MY COMPUTER like I previously advised you to do. Leave it set to Automatic in the SERVICES list.

Make sure that

Automatic updates

Background intelligence transfer service

Cryptographic services

Event log

are all set to Automatic. This will insure that the manual scanning of Windows updates works properly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To set the record straight.......I use both Adaware, and SpyBot on a regular basis (daily); I empty the recycle bin whenever there's more than two items in it; I clean out the temp files twice daily, if I've been surfing, otherwise once; I defrag after removing or adding a program or application; I do a Panda virus scan weekly, and a PC Pitstop weekly; and when I installed IE7, as I do with any download, I follow the directions specifically.
I have 80,698, 187, 776 bytes to use, and have only used 11,059,982, 336 bytes; I have extra RAM installed, in addition to what came with the computer and will never use it all.
By the way, I dumped Norton Antivirus when I found it on my 'puter today. I've had it on other puters and it did nothing but cause problems, so I'm hoping I solved a few by dumping it. I have AVG and ZoneAlarm to protect me, and they've done a great job.
None of these slowing-down or freezing-up problems occurred until I installed IE7. Hopefully, it'll be that good again now.
Again,
I thank you for your help.
TNgram

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.