Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problems started yesterday when I turned on computer and got wallpaper with no icons and prompt from Verizon (my ISP) to wait while updates were installed. Nothing happened and I had to go to task manager/end task to end Verizon program and get icons to load.

Computer ran fine for a while, then when certain sites tried to load my browser would automatically shut down. Saw a blinking Icon in my toolbar for Microsoft Service pack updated. Thought it might help with the browser issues so I downloaded the updated.

Once I rebooted there were more problems. It took approximately 40 minutes to get to login screen and another 10 minutes for my setting to load. Once loaded all I get is mydesktop wallpaper. No icons, toolbar, nothing.

I've tried safemode and get a black screen with the word safemode in each corner. Tried F8 and nothing happens when I try to go to recover last working settings. Tried F10 system recovery and I get a message saying:
stop: c0000135 {unable to locate component}
This application has failed to start because USP10.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I don't have a recovery disk. Are there any other options? Can my computer and/or data be saved?

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
Sounds like best case, some updates mangled things, worst case, the hard drive is dying. For the first case follow the Microsoft system restore procedure from command line (if you can get there again)-- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449.

If the hard drive is dying you either have to try booting with a LiveCd (Linux) of some sort and copy off what data you can or get the drive out and hook it up to another system as a data drive and see if you can get the data moved off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Computer is only 1.5 years old. Never crashed before or had any other problems, so I hope the hard drive isn't dying.

After about an hour computer booted up in safe mode, got to welcome screen entered password. Back to safe mode with 'Microsoft Windows xp (build 2600. xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236: Service Pack 3) across top of screen and a window 'cmd.exe' and:

c:\documents and settings\hp_administrator>

What should I do now?

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
If you are in regular safe mode, just try running System Restore from the Start menu (don't need command line). That long extended boot time is really worrisome though; can you hear the hard drive making little noises like its trying to read over and over and over?

Ideally you would run system restore to a time before the updates to eliminate that possibility and then run check disk with repair one or more times to see if that reassigned bad sectors, but if it keeps taking an inordinate amount of time to boot, there's something more seriously wrong that those procedures cannot repair.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't hear any noise from hard drive.

In regular safe mode it's just a black screen No icons or start menu. When I get it welcome screen in safe mode it says I have new emails, so maybe all my info isn't lost and can be recovered.

On regular boot I get all the way to desktop wall paper, but no icons or start menu.

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
In regular boot, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to see if the Task Manager will come up. In processes find explorer.exe and end it. Then click on File>NewTask and type in explorer.exe and ok it. Did that help? If not, go through the rest of the processes. Ones I've personally found that can stop the full desktop load are TrueImage processes, the PCTools processes (could be other anti virus programs though as well), and some other scheduling process added by some program, possibly Roxio.

Its possible that no process is preventing full desktop loading though since you aren't booting to the desktop in any normal time frame anyway right? So all this information is not likely to be as helpful as it would be in a normal boot situation.

If you need to get data from the drive I would first and foremost get that (post 3) and then possibly get more aggressive with the drive. You haven't mentioned the results of System Restore running from command prompt safe mode or not, or check disk if it will run.

If you can't get any of this stuff to work at all and don't have any sort of installation discs, its going to be pretty tough to make any progress.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I'm going to have to retrieve as much data as possible and then do a reinstall of XP? Could I possibly get a copy of that usp10.dll file only reinstall that without losing my data?

Where can I get/download a linux livecd?

Thank you for all of your help.

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
I don't know about the .dll file. Normally you would have gotten a recovery CD or DVDs, or been prompted to make them with a recovery utility when you first bought the system, and use those to repair and recover from such errors.

The Linux LiveCD I would download, just because its small and easy to download is a copy of Parted Magic (http://partedmagic.com/index.php?op...89:parted-magic-32&catid=3:newsflash&Itemid=1). It has a file management explorer compatible with Windows formats and can start your network interface in most cases to copy over a network (or just use a USB external) and no mistakes can be made about accidently installing it instead of running it completely from the CD. Just don't try to use the Partition tool its named after, at least not at this point. Other Linux distros to consider are Puppy and Knoppix.

If it comes to reinstalling/recovery you should check with the manufacturer to see if you can get recovery discs for your system. If you can, they will be much cheaper than a retail copy of XP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.