Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using Word 97 with Windows 2000. Frequently getting message saying that winword.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. There's no pattern to these occurrences; they happen during various tasks. Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix this annoyance. I have searched various knowledge bases and support sources without success.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I had already renamed normal.dot after getting error messages referring specifically to that file. I checked to make sure that Word had not generated a new normal.dot file; it hasn't. So, what's Step 2?

·
Registered
243 Posts
See if this site helps you.

There's also a report of norton AV (2002) causing this proble... so if you do have nortons, try this:
) Launch NAV; 2) Select Options; 3) Choose Miscellaneous; 4) Remove the check mark from the Enable Office plug-in entry under "How to keep Microsoft Office documents protected," and; 5) Select OK.

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
Word WILL create a new normal.dot at some point, and this is perfectly, er.... normal!

Anyway, here's a registry edit, if you're feeling brave or you're already comfortable with the registry:

hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\8.0\word

Hit Start-Run and type regedit and hit enter. Browse to the folder above. Right-click the Word folder and rename it to OldWord. Close the registry editor and restart Word. Let us know if the problem returns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.