Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, Happy New Year to everyone on the forum.
I have just moved my computer to another location (rented house) turned it on to see whether it would function ok.It did so I was happy BUT then decided to move it to another room.I shut it down and unplugged it at the mains (did I unplug it too quickly?) then placed it where would be its new permanent position.
Turned on the computer and was met with a black page full of white writing apologising that Windows could not start etc and offering me options such as :Safe mode.Safe Mode Networking.Safe Mode Comand Prompt. Last Known Good Configuration and Start Windows Normally.
I have tried the last 2 mentioned and what happens is everything happens as normal "The black windows XP page comes up and the loading bar moves across" Then instead of my desktop appearing a light blue screen with white writing flashes without giving any chance for reading anything and then returns to the options page mentioned above.
I have tried 2 system restore points and neither have worked to fix the problem.It will start in Safe Mode no problem but I have no idea how to get my computer functioning normally.I am desperate for any help anyone can give me to rectify this problem.
Please use as simple terms as possible as I know virtually nothing about computers and am devastated that I have this problem.
As I said before I am desperate for anyones help and will be eternally gratefull. (PLEASE REMEMBER I AM A COMPLETE NOVICE,SORRY FOR BEING THICK).
ALL THE BEST, JOHN.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Try running a disc check from safemode

open my computer/right click the c drive/ properties/ tools/ error checking

click on check now

put a check in both boxes

follow the prompts

joan

·
Registered
665 Posts
See if you can use an earlier system restore point - my son's computer had same problem, which occurred on Jan 1 (I suspect it could have been virus).

I tried last 2 system restore points & they did not work - but then I tried the 3rd last which was the morning of 29th Dec, and it worked. I suspect there was a virus that came out designed to hit on Jan 1. Hope it works for you. If it does, don't forget when you get on to update & run all virus and adware scanners.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Joan,thankyou for your much appreciated help.I followed the steps and it went through the 5 stages successfully when restarting the computer.Unfortunately it has not cured the problem as when I am met with the black page and choose "start windows normally"it goes to windows xp page with loading bar then when the desktop should appear it flashes that blue page with white writing and then starts loading the options page again.
The problem is , now I've done this I can't even startup in safe mode.When I choose safe mode the black page scrolls down as normal with all the white writing but remains there instead of starting in safe mode.Please help as I am useless at this and devastated that I cannot access my own computer.Hope to hear from someone soon.Please !!!!!!

·
Banned
11,097 Posts
Howdy,

There maybe something loose from the moves......I would check the cables to the Hard drive and make sure the are connected tightly....

Also re seat all Cards in the board like memory cards and video cards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou for your help ,I really appreciate any I can get.Unfortunately I had already tried the other method mentioned by Joan and am now unable to even start in "safe mode".so I cant yet try another restore point.Just hope someone can help me rectify this problem.Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,thanks for your message.just checked internals and all seem ok.Just loads as normal on the WindowsXP black page then instead of going to the desktop it clicks as if switching off immediately after the blue page with white writing flashes then goes through the sequence again.Just havn't got a clue what to do ???????? HELP ANYBODY PLEASE !!!!

·
Banned
11,097 Posts
What do you have hooked up to the PC......

You can trying removing everything except video card, Memory card, and Hard drive...just have the basic and re start the PC.

Do you have access to another PC?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I've got access at the moment to another computer.I havn't got anything else hooked up to it at the moment.Remember you'll have to bare with me as I am a complete beginner "as you can probably realise by my threads."Thanks

·
Banned
11,097 Posts
If you need the any files that are on you Hard drive you can take it out and put it on another PC as Slave to get the files.

Also if you find your XPHome CD you can do a Repair Install....your files would stay in Tacked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks ever so much for your help.What I'll do is try and find the CD .Is it ok to ask you for further assistance if I find it ? Be away for about 2 hours now.thanks again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,thanks .I have found the cd that was issued with the computer (still in sealed pack) Windows XP Home Edition. Version 2002.
I havn't got a clue what to do now to correct my computers problem.As remember I'm a complete beginner and can't even get it to start in "safe mode" now.
Please advise in as simple terms as possible .
Will I lose my computers contents repairing the system using the cd ,photos,etc ?
Sorry for being a pain and hope with your help I can successfully get back up and running on my own computer.Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks.Just one more question (now you'll know I'm really thick.) It says have your
CD-KEY ready if required ,can you explain what this is or where I find it. Sorry for being nuisance!

·
Registered
665 Posts
The Product Key is your unique identification number for your software - which authenticates it as genuine software. This is required when you install the product, without it you cannot install.

It should be in the format

ABCDE-FGHIJ-KLMNO-PQRST-UVWXY

where the above 25 digits are either alphabet or numeric characters.

If you have found the original CD, it should be somewhere on the packaging that came with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi ,thankyou for that.I have a label on the packaging reading :You are required to fix this Certificate of Authenticity to the exterior of the PC *****-***-***-*** the * represent what are all shown as numbers.Would this be it as there are only 14 numbers ?Thanks.

·
Registered
665 Posts
No sorry,

As far as I know the Certificate of Authenticity is just to show that it is an Authentic Microsoft product. The product ID key is your personal unique identification number for that particular product purchase. It should be in the format I showed before - it might be on the CD cover, or if the CD came inside a cardboard folder it might be on one of the flaps on the folder. It will be somewhere amongst the packaging inside your original box - it wouldn't be on the box itself.
When you come to install the CD, you will get to a screen where it asks you to enter the Product Key, or ID Key or similar name. You will be presented with a series of 5 boxes across the screen with the dashes (as shown in my post above) pre-inserted. You just have to type in the numbers - you don't even have to tab across to each box. You just enter the numbers in order and they are inserted for you in each box.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.